netgear wireless step by step setup help needed

shauny36 13:26 13 May 07

am running a netgear dg834g router on aol and need to setup the wireless conection to a pc upstairs.
the usb adaptors are a belkin g.

am not very good with these so is there a easy step by step setup.
can get the router page up but when i click on wireless i dont know what to do next.

Ashrich 13:35 13 May 07

Haven't done one of these for a while , but first give your router a name and do not take the option to hide it , and don't just leave it as Netgear , then , select what type of encryption/security you wish to use ( WPA/PSK is probably best )to use this you can just enter a memorable name , better if it a reasonably long one , and save your settings . Then disconnect from the router and the cable you used to set it up with and try connecting by wireless , when you do a search you will see the wireless net name you created , double click on it and enter the password you created ( you did write it down or remember it , didn't you ! ) and click on connect , that should take you onto the Internet and be fully secure .

Ashley

shauny36 13:44 13 May 07

do i not have to have the cable plugged in so the pc upstairs will connect and the main pc.

Graham. 14:01 13 May 07

Try Control Panel, Wireless Network, Wireless Network Set-up Wizard.

Graham. 14:03 13 May 07

Do that on the main PC, the one with the router.

Strawballs 15:44 13 May 07

Run the disc that came with the USB adapter but only install the drivers and not the software plug the adapter into the PC and let it detect it and follow the onscreen instructions.

Then right click on the wireless icon in the task bar next to the clock and choose view availiable networks choose your router and click connect if you have encrytion setup (which you should) it will ask for the keyword you have setup.

This is assuming that the router is already up and running as it reads in your post

J B 17:24 13 May 07

Bookmarked. J.B.

rdave13 18:32 13 May 07

Have a look here, click here

shauny36 18:34 14 May 07

right done this bit,
Then right click on the wireless icon in the task bar next to the clock and choose view availiable networks choose your router and click connect if you have encrytion setup.
had a list of 3 so clicked on belkin then connect and it tryed to connect waited about 2 mins then it dissapeared from the list.
checked the adaptor in device manager and thats working ok, also the signal bars was empty, have got adaptor sitting on top of router.

still got yellow cable plugged in. also in network connections wireless coneection has a red cross and says disconnected.

will my BELKIN adaptors work with the NETGEAR router.

have still got belkin router but its not set up to AOL.

Strawballs 22:54 14 May 07

You should access your routers setup and find the ssid and change it to something that you would know and not your neighbours because when you clicked on belkin how do you know that it was yours and I thought that you said that you had a netgear router.

Yes your belkin adapters will work with the ntegear router, I have a linksys router, a Novatech own brand in my son's PC and a broadcom built in on my laptop and all work fine as they are all 802.11g

shauny36 20:07 16 May 07

yes have got netgear and belkin.
am using netgear now.
what do you mean change ssid what is ssid.

think i came across this in the netgear setup.

still struggling

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5