Netgear wireless router problem

Sethhaniel 12:59 14 Sep 06

a friend asked me to come and set it up for him
(Netgear / WPN824 / 108Mbps / 802.11g / 4-Port / Cable/DSL / RangeMax Wireless Router)
but opening the box the only connection to PC (wireless???) is via 'ethernet' connection apparently needed to install, then done away with? - his computer has no ethernet ports - is there a way via USB for the initial installation

he is running windows ME plenty of proccessor power & memory

ade.h 15:57 14 Sep 06

Hi Sethhaniel. I have just checked the manual for this model to refresh my memory. Its wireless service IS off by default (as I expected) so you need an Cat5 cable (Ethernet) to configure it.

Don't use the CD wizard; just enter the gateway IP address - 192.168.0.1 for Netgears - into a browser, or enter this URL: http ://www .routerlogin.net/basicsetting.htm spaced out to avoid making a link. This option is unusual; other brands only use the IP for access. The default username is admin and the default password is password. Change these once setup is completed.

Don't forget MAC filtering, firewall and WPA-PSK. Use WPA2 if this model has it (I can't remember if it does or not).

ade.h 15:59 14 Sep 06

Forgot to mention that, as a 9x OS is involved, you'll need to use the supplied management software with any wireless adapter that you may intend to install afterwards.

Sethhaniel 16:12 14 Sep 06

"so you need an Cat5 cable (Ethernet) to configure it."

That's the problem - there is no ethernet port on the computer - only USB ports - so without having an ethernet card installed is there a way to use this router ??

ade.h 16:15 14 Sep 06

You can't network without Ethernet. USB is not a networking interface. Your friend will need a PCI Ethernet card.

ade.h 16:18 14 Sep 06

If you have a laptop, use that to configure it for him and install a wireless adapter in his PC. If you want to use the Netgear's MIMO throughput and boosted speed, he will need a proprietary adapter, which he presumably already has.

Sethhaniel 16:25 14 Sep 06

so what is the process he /we needs to follow

ie borrow a laptop to configure router - then what ??

ade.h 16:40 14 Sep 06

Router setup click here

As you are dealing with Win ME, you'll need to disregard what I say on my website about the installation of adapters because you need the software. 9x operating systems are not wifi ready.

Sethhaniel 09:01 22 Sep 06

as he is getting his computer upgraded to XP

and hopefully that will resolve the problem
thanks
G

Strawballs 18:47 22 Sep 06

click here This alows you to plug a cat5 lead into USB to setup the route if you do not want to take the side off of the machine to install PCI card (which is very easy)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…