Netgear wireless network help required

andy625 09:45 03 Oct 05

We currently have a DG834T router set up on broadband connection. This is connected by a network cable to an IBM laptop, and we also have another P2 laptop connected using a wireless PCMIA adapter, the existing two machines work fine.

I installed the WG311T into the additional machine Saturday, and initially had trouble getting the machine to recognise that there was a physical card in the PCI slot. I had previously installed a soundblaster cound card prior to the network card. After some experimenting, I established that the network card would register and instal only if the sound card was removed.

I currently have the network card installed, which can pick up my wireless network and says that the signal is ok. In the connection properties it quotes figures for data sent, but nothing is being received.

I have tried downloading and installing later drivers, however during the installation procedure for the new drivers, it always asks for the original cd, and doesn't seem to instal the later driver. I have currently reverted to uninstalling everything and reinstalling the drivers on the cd supplied.

I have tried running the windows network setup wizard numerous times, to no avail. Neither of the other 2 machines can see the new machine, and the new machine cannot see either of the other two machines.

On the new machine the wireless indicator is showing green but I can't connect to anything. I can't see the internet except with a dialup using my bluetooth adapter and bluetooth modem which I've installed after the network card. I used this to download an updated file for the network card using windows update, however this made no difference.

Do you think that I need to do something to the router to get it to see the new machine? If not I'd really appreciate some help. I spent all day yesterday trying everything I can think of.

Andy

Yoda Knight 14:20 03 Oct 05

Any firewalls running (including Windows) ?

andy625 17:30 03 Oct 05

There is a norton firewall on the laptop wired to the router, but not on the new pc that can't see the router. As you don't have to go through the laptop with the firewall to get to the router, I'm assuming this will make no difference? The other laptop with the wireless card has no problem.

andy625 13:07 04 Oct 05

Incase anybody's interested, I've figured out that the reason I couldn't connect to the router was that the network TCP/IP was set to obtain IP addresses automatically. When I inputted the IP addresses manually as copied from one of the other computers, it worked straight away.

Can anyone tell me why I would have to do this, and why it wouldn't pick them up automatically?

andy625 11:38 13 Oct 05

Couldn't get this setup to be reliable so have returned the whole lot and changed for usb devices. Have alook at the netgear forum if you are having similar trouble.

fitcher 12:30 13 Oct 05

the addressess in the router ,did you put the same ones into you wireless pick up card ..how many addresses did you put in your router configuration and did you use the same coded nos in your cards ,some laptops like dell for instance enable a connection automaticaly as mine did .but still asked for a password first time I used ,,by the way ,I have had no problems with that router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…