Netgear Wireless Media Router with BT Yahoo b/band

Ed747 20:10 19 Nov 04

I am trying to set up a wirless network using BT Yahoo 1Mb Broadband and NETGEAR 108Mbps Wireless Media Router WBT634U but, am basically getting absolutely nowhere, I am relatively new to this WiFi set up and nothing is going like it says in the brochure.

Grrrrr Please help me Spiderman!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Rioja 21:32 19 Nov 04

Ed747,

You really need to give us more info on your setup.
The first question has to be what adsl modem are you trying to connect with. Note that this router does not have a modem built in and you cannot use the usb modem supplied by BT Yahoo.

Assuming you are using a seperate ethernet connected adsl modem to terminate the adsl/broadband signal then have a look through this previous thread.
click here

Regards,

Rioja

Ed747 23:00 19 Nov 04

I am using the BT Voyager 205 DSL Router which came with my Broadband package using the ethernet port to the NETGEAR Router which then connects to the ethernet port on my PC.

Are you saying I need additional hardware?

Rioja 23:51 19 Nov 04

Ed747,

From what I can find out on the Voyager 205 it should work ok.
Have you read through the thread I posted? You can also refer to this thread click here which is a similar problem.

You haven't said what your problem actually is.
Can you connect to the internet with just the Voyager in place?
If so, when you add the Netgear into the circuit can you then connect with a pc either wired or wirelessly?

It's always best to get these systems working in a wired configuration first and then transfer to wireless working.

Regards,

Rioja

Ed747 14:18 20 Nov 04

Thanks for everything so far.

I'm fine with just my BT Voyager connection but, when I introduce the NETGEAR Router into the equation, via ethernet cable, my PC is no longer able to make a connection to the internet.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person in the world when it comes to wireless or even wired networks so I do apologise for any shortcomings of information and understanding.

Thanks

Ed747 14:18 20 Nov 04

Thanks for everything so far.

I'm fine with just my BT Voyager connection but, when I introduce the NETGEAR Router into the equation, via ethernet cable, my PC is no longer able to make a connection to the internet.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person in the world when it comes to wireless or even wired networks so I do apologise for any shortcomings of information and understanding.

Thanks

Rioja 16:00 20 Nov 04

Ed747,

do you know the ip address of the Voyager? This will be the ip address you put in Internet Explorer to access the Voyager's configuration pages. If this is the same ip address as that used by the Netgear (192.168.0.1) then it will need to be changed to e.g. 192.168.7.1

Ed747 12:11 22 Nov 04

Netgear's instructions tell me to start IE and to log into the router by entering IP address 192.168.1.1. This is the IP address I can use to access 'BT Voyager 205 Configuration Manager'. Forgive my lack of knowledge but, I am unaware how to change the Netgear router's IP address.

Kind regards
Ed

Rioja 12:32 22 Nov 04

Ed747,

According the manual for your router, the LAN IP Setup menu is under the Advanced heading of the Main menu.

Also see my diagram referred to in this thread:

click here

Regards,

Rioja

Ed747 17:59 22 Nov 04

Right clicking on the LAN Connection in the control panel and selecting status reveals little or no connection, under the Details button there is only entries against Physical Address, IP Address (Not even close to 192.168.1.1) and subnet mask, there are no entries against Default Gateway, DNS Server and WINS Server. Theoretically, I should be able to access the router using the IP Address and configure it to my liking, fingers crossed.

Cheers
Ed

Ed747 22:41 22 Nov 04

Well, that didn't work, what a surprise. Just cannot access this routers settings.

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

Ed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…