Netgear wireless adsl router DG834G

ian-206235 00:48 05 Jan 05

i have just bought the above router to connect my home pc (Packard Bell imedia 1801B) with my lap top (Acer travelmate ) both running xp home edition but my pc wont show the netgear in my control panel and my broadband arrows in the task bar show no device present , but my acer says signal strength from the netgear is excellent , can someone please help . Thank you

Forum Editor 01:10 05 Jan 05

Can you access the Internet via the laptop as well as the PC?

All the router does is broadcast a wireless signal, and provided its modem is online it will distribute the broadband connection to any computer within range. Are you saying that the laptop can't access the Internet, or are you saying that neither computer can?

If it's that you want to network the two computers then you'll need to run the WindowsXP networking wizard on both machines. What type of network card do you have in the PC - is it wireless or a conventional LAN card? If it's a LAN card you'll obviously need to connect it to a LAN port on the router before your network and/or Internet connection will work on that machine.

I may have the wrong idea of what the problem is - post back with a bit more detail if that's the case.

JIM 01:13 05 Jan 05

Have you tried re running the setup wizard again.

ian-206235 00:14 06 Jan 05

I now have both connected and they work perfectly when using either desktop or lap top but if one is on and i try to connect the other it cuts the first one off? Lost now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…