Netgear Wireless ADSL Router

Sonic21 18:26 28 May 06

Hi all,

Ok this is the basics my wireless broadband internet works however each time i turn my computer on it can take up to a min and half to connect because it searches through the channels in numerical order.

My connection is on channel 11 so it occurs to me if i can somehow make it channel 1 the connection will be alot quicker.

Any ideas on how i would go about it?

rsinbad 19:06 28 May 06

not sure changing the channel would solve your prob,

ade.h 19:33 28 May 06

Your PC searches through all channels? XP certainly doesn't do this, so are you using 3rd-party connection software? If so, what type/brand?

Sonic21 19:41 28 May 06

Im using netgears software that came with the router they advised agasint using the built in windows xp software.

ade.h 20:04 28 May 06

It is usually preferable to use no 3rd-party software, something that many of us have said in many threads in this section. When any product manual tells you to use a particular piece of software, question why. It is not always necessary.

Sonic21 20:07 28 May 06

I don't like microsoft very much so when i get the opertunity to use a 3rd parties software i tend to. However i will try using Microsoft if all else fails.

ade.h 20:11 28 May 06

You don't like Microsoft...

I fail to see why, but never mind. I don't think that it should stop you from using XP's own very capable network abilities. If it is used correctly, it works very well indeed.

rsinbad 20:14 28 May 06

what is the wireless adapter model? abd what is the router model

Sonic21 20:17 28 May 06

Netgear Super Wireless ADSL Modem ROuter 108mbs 802.11g

rsinbad 20:32 28 May 06

Are you useing the setup wirelessly or wired?

mgmcc 20:45 28 May 06

<<< I don't like microsoft very much so when i get the opportunity to use a 3rd parties software i tend to. However i will try using Microsoft if all else fails >>>

I have three Belkin adapters - PCI, PCMCIA & USB - and a Linksys USB adapter. Each has completely different Wireless software and by using Windows' built-in Wireless Networking software, I can have the same interface for all. Quite honestly, the Windows software is the best of the lot!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…