Netgear WGT624 v3 Set-up

KenjieZzz 12:09 01 Apr 08

Hi,
I am new to networking because we only had 1 computer until now.
I bought a laptop so I decided to upgrade our cable modem and bought a wireless router.

ISP: CABLE Virgin Media
Router: Netgear WGT624 v3

I do not know where to begin.

The instruction provided with the router is not straightforward and a bit confusing.

can somebody give me a simple and easy step-by-step guide how to set it up?
? I really need some help.

What I need is to connect my PC (wired) and my Laptop (wireless)

Thanks.

Ashrich 20:36 01 Apr 08

Ok , here we go ...power down the modem for 10 minutes , connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port on the router , and an ethernet cable from port one on the router to the PC . Power up the modem and leave to settle , then power to the router and leave to settle again , then finally power up the PC . Open a browser and type in to the address bar ..192.168.0.1 and press enter . The password and admin words should be be either " password and admin " or " admin and admin " From here the router should be able to pick up your internet connection , go to the wireless section and set yourself up some wireless security ( preferably WPA ) and save all changes . Exit the router pages , boot laptop and try connecting using the WPA code you previously set .

Ashley

KenjieZzz 07:40 02 Apr 08

Thank you, Ashley. It's all up and running now. When I went to the browser, It didn't asked me to logged in, it ran a wizard automatically.

But I think there's one more problem. =[

the internet connection my PC is fine(wired) but the connection on my laptop is too slow. the download rate only reach up to 30kbps.

do you have any advice?

My laptop's wireless is Intel Pro which is a/b/g

my router is as shown above, Super G.

thanks.

Ashrich 20:11 02 Apr 08

Try changing the channel , that may well make a difference . Are there any highish power networks around you ? Do you have Windows managing the wireless side of things ? To change channel go in to device manager , expand the networks part , and for the Intel card go to " Advanced " section , you should be able to change channels from there , match the channel change in the router set up again .

Ashley

KenjieZzz 21:44 02 Apr 08

I checked the channels as you said, but they're already the same [both channel 11] =[ so the internet is still slow.

do you have any other advice?

thanks. =[

Ashrich 00:21 03 Apr 08

Try changing them to something else , as long as they match , also see if you are using the latest drivers for your wireless adapter , have a look at the Intel website , in fact , click here for the download ( XP ) or go to your laptop makers site .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…