Netgear Web Safe Router Help Required Please

son-of-a-gun 08:16 03 Apr 05

Hi Folks, Currently I use an internal PCI DSL card for DSL connection to the Internet. I had given me, a (NETGEAR Web Safe Router RP114) this includes the Router, power supply, and software.

To be honest I'm clueless with Routers and cant figure out how you make the connections.

All sockets on the Router are of the RJ45 type should I have a lead with the router with an RJ45 on one end, and a standard telephone connection on the other end? Or is there something else I need? Thanks for any help.

Forum Editor 12:05 03 Apr 05

and it isn't a wireless router, so you can't use it to connect directly to the internet via the phone line or to other computers wirelessly - you'll need to carry on with your normal modem. The router has 4 LAN ports, one of which you connect to a computer with internet access, using a standard Ethernet cable plugged into the computer's network card.

Other computers can be networked via the router in the same way - via Ethernet cables. Each macine will need to have a network card installed of course.

This router was introduced some years ago - 2001 I think - and is looking a bit long in the tooth now, but it should still work well.

son-of-a-gun 13:05 03 Apr 05

Thanks F.E. Sorry, not too Au fait with networks but If I continue using the PCI DSL on one PC are you saying I could then go from the on board LAN of the PC with he DSL card to the RP114 & from RP114 to the on board LAN of a second PC, and get Net Access on both?

----------------------------

I do have net access currently with both these PCs from on board LAN to on board LAN, but what I was hoping to do was gain an hardware firewall on the one PC or better, both PCs. But looking at your response two hardware firewalls Via the RP114 is not possible.

But not certain ATM, if I could do what crossed my mind in
1 above :-)

Thanks son-of-a-gun

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…