Netgear USB+Modem router = Share CABLE connection?

JJeff 18:36 02 May 09

I have a Netgear DG834GT wireless modem router for machine 1 and a WG111T usb adapter to connect machine 2 to the router.

Now however we have a cable connection, and this is an ADSL router, so there's no way to use it as a modem right?

Here's my setup;

Computer 1 has cable internet access
Computer 2 has nothing

Since the router and usb adapter can communicate, but the router is ADSL so won't work with my cable connection, is there a way to put the router on Computer 2 and somehow have it take the role of the USB adapter, to connect to the USB adapter on computer 1 which will be taking the role of the router?

So Computer 1 (with internet access) connects to the router on Computer 2, "feeding" it a connection to the internet?

No idea if this is possible... does anyone?

mgmcc 21:10 02 May 09

DON'T try to use your combined ADSL Modem/Router with Cable broadband, because it just won't work. Its WAN port is a phone connection - you need a "Cable/DSL Router", which doesn't incorporate a Modem, and which has an ethernet WAN port for connection directly to the Virgin Cable Modem's ethernet port.

If you don't want to buy a Cable/DSL Router, you can connect the two computers directly, either with a *crossover* ethernet cable or in an "Ad Hoc" wireless network, and then enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual internet connection (modem connection) in the PC that is online.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…