NetGear Router - Zone.msn.com Online Play

RJKnight 21:32 29 Oct 03

Router: Netgear DG824M
Games: Microsoft Links 2003 and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004
Problem: Zone.MSN.com online play doesn't work

Hi,
I recently purchased the above router so that the four PC's in my house can be connected to Broadband. With the purchase of the above games, I fancied trying them online. I used the official Microsoft gaming site, and found that I had to open certain ports to enable gameplay. I enabled all the correct ports and set it up as it should be, checking that all ports were not blocked. I have disabled the XP firewall but am hesitant to disable the built-in NAT firewall. However, some say this is the only way, to leave my PC as a DMZ (de-militarized zone) whereby it is left open to hacking. :S

Obviously, I am hesitant to do the above and was wondering if there is any other way. Feel free to ask questions in the reply about my set-up as I'll be watching this topic with eagle eyes.

Many thanks,
Ciaran

RJKnight 23:49 29 Oct 03

Please help me. I'm really desperate to get this working.

fitshase 03:58 30 Oct 03

Have you tried phoning Netgear Technical Support? They are very good and should be able to run a couple of ideas past you.

Regards

Fitshase

Sir Radfordin 09:38 30 Oct 03

Don't know if it's any help but on the U.S. Robotics Broadband Router you can go to 'Special Applications' and then set up MSN Gaming Zone.

It then puts out the following:

Triger: 47624

Incomming Ports: 2300-2400,28800-29000

But since I don't use it don't actually know what it does! Speaking to Netgear Tech Support seems like a good starting point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…