Netgear Router Question

J B 12:07 27 May 07

I have a Netgear DG834PN wireless router and was wondering if the router should be left powered up 24/7 even when the computer is shutdown and not in use? If this is true wouldn't it shorten the life of the router, or something worse. J.B.

driving man 12:18 27 May 07

My Netgear is left on all the time--- but it has nothing by it so I leave it on all the time
(except long absences away from home)
It gets very very faintly warm-- def. not hot though
Chris

postie24 12:20 27 May 07

I use a BTvoyager wireless router,i turn it off every night,no problems with connection the next day.
Cant see the point of leaving it on all night,unless you suffer from insomnia :))

rodriguez 12:22 27 May 07

I switch mine off every night as well. By the time the computer's started up, it's already connected as it only takes a few seconds to connect to broadband.

Gongoozler 12:31 27 May 07

Other than the waste of energy there's nothing wrong with leaving the router on 24/7 as long as you have used the strongest security encryption available.

J B 13:51 27 May 07

Thank you all for the information. The reason that I asked was that I was told that routers were designed to be left on all the time. The problem that I was experiencing was that the router wasn't finding a network so I had to reboot the computer (Laptop) for it to work properly. I think that if it continues to happen I will call customer support and start all over, this time with windows own wizard, unless someone has a better idea. J.B.

Gongoozler 14:18 27 May 07

This problem has arisen quite recently and I'm not sure that it was resolved. My Netgear DG834G has the following settings for Basic:

Does Your Internet Connection Require A Login? - Yes
Encapsulation - PPPoA
Login and Password as normal for my ISP
Idle timeout - 0
Internet IP Address - Get Dynamically From ISP
NAT (Network Address Translation) - Enable

I hope this helps

anchor 14:26 27 May 07

Like driving man, my Netgear 834 is left on all the time, except when I go on a longish holiday. It gets very slightly warm; I keep plenty of space all around it.

J B 14:28 27 May 07

Just checked mine and it exactky the same as yours. If it keeps up I will call Netgear and have them sort it out. Thanks for the settings check. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…