netgear router has weak sygnol with xbox 360 !

jaboyle 23:18 01 Jan 09

ok, we have just upgraded our wireless router (netgear DG834GT) to a much better 'netgear DG834PN'

The main problem is connecting the router to the xbox 360,

the older router which claimed a 30m sygnol range was placed about 10m away from the xbox and still got a 1-2 bar connection to the xbox, more often than not it was a 1 bar (red) sygnol quality which is very poor !

all of the ports on the router were set to open and thus, our NAT on our xbox was set to OPEN which was good !

the new router which claims a 100+ router sygnol quality only gets 1 bar of sygnol and also has all its ports open and the NAT is set to OPEN !

our internet is sky broadband 'max' (upto 16mb) on a BT line !

whats the problem, why is the new router having such a weak connection to the xbox ???

thanks everyone !! :D

ambra4 00:26 02 Jan 09

“The new router, which claims a 100+ router signal quality, only gets 1 bar of signal”

See that there is no external antenna only the internal ones

For best results, place the router in an elevated location such as a high shelf where the wirelessly

connected device have line-of-sight access (even if through walls)

Away from sources of interference, such as computers, microwaves, and cordless phones

Away from large metal surfaces

Is the wireless Mode: Set to "g & b" (default) or “Auto 108 Mbps” as a Netgear 108 Mbps

wireless adapter must be used.

Coverage is maximized when the DG834PN is used in conjunction with NETGEAR’s

RangeMax, PC cards and adapters as listed in the manual

Inside Edge 12:00 02 Jan 09

I got around poor wireless signal strength in my home by using Netgear Powerline adapters. If you've not come across them, they utilise your home mains electricity wiring ring main to get the signal from your router to your remote device, simulating a hardwired network. Walls and other interference sources become irrelevant. For something like an Xbox 360 that doesn't generally get moved around it's a complete solution and maximises the data transfer rates. I use one for Xbox incidentally. They're not that cheap, but they work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac