Netgear Router

myanmarboy 11:50 22 May 06

I recently bought a Netgear WGR614 router and rushed the intallation a bit. I would like to change the configuration for security reasons. The manual that came with the CD software keeps referring me to the "Main Menu of the browser interface". Can someone please tell me how and where I access this. Probably sounds like a dumb question but I haven't a clue where to look.
Thanks

ghm101 12:05 22 May 06

Your router will have an IP address (probably 192.168.1.1.)

Stick that in the address bar of your browser and press enter

You will then be asked to log in to the router. (this will either be the factory default password or one you recently set)

Once past that screen you will be in the web browser administration screens used for managing your router.

ghm101 12:06 22 May 06

I think the factory default password for netgear stuff is "password"

myanmarboy 12:47 22 May 06

ghm 101

Tried googling 192.168.1.1. but did not get a log in screen

remind 12:51 22 May 06

type this in your address bar

h--p://192.168.0.1
replace h--p with http (saves the forum changing it to a link)
type admin in the first box, password in the second

myanmarboy 12:59 22 May 06

gmh 101

Just tried that but still did not get a login page

remind 13:09 22 May 06

are you attempting to change the settings using a wireless connection, or via an ethernet cable connection to the router? connect a cable if not.
the password box should appear as soon as you type the address

i meant the address bar in internet explorer if i didnt make that clear

ghm101 13:31 22 May 06

Your router has an IP address, the default is 192.168.1.1, that is why we are suggesting it.

You use a browser to goto that address and administer your router. (type it in the address bar)

Typically you can only go to these Admin pages if you are connected to the router by a wire.(hence reminds' question) This stops some geezer sitting outside your house, connected to your network from changing all the settings.

if you get no joy possibly your routers IP address is not 192.168.1.1, This may be different if you changed some of the default settings. you can use "ipconfig" at a command prompt to see what your "Default Gateway" is on your PC.

to do this
from the start menu select "RUN"
you get a dialog box type "CMD" there and press OK
You get a black DOS box with a command prompt
Type "IPCONFIG" and press ENTER
Load of stuff appears on the screen.
Write down the IP address number for "Default Gateway"
Close the box

go to your browser and enter this number in your address bar.

ade.h 15:14 22 May 06

Actually, it is perfectly possible with most brands of router to access the config UI from a wireless client, but to do so puts you at serious risk of crashing the router should you adjust any wireless-related setting. It is this open access that makes it essential to use a unique config UI password.

myanmarboy 23:00 22 May 06

ghm101

Sorry I had to duck out earlier today but had other probs. followed by a long shift at work.
Anyway thank you very much for your help (and patience). Thanks to you post above ref "Default Gateway", I have now accessed the browser interface. Once again many thanks.

ashdav 00:23 23 May 06

could you tick as resolved please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…