Netgear network disconnecting?

Rickyv 21:01 16 Jul 05

ive got a netgear dg834g router and a belkin wi fi card and the network works fine once its connected. but on the wireless pc upstairs it keep disconnecting from the network if i am idle on the internet (e.g. internet is on but im not at the computer, therefore it is idle). It then disconnects itself from the network and fails to refind the network. any suggestions? thanks

Dipso 21:47 16 Jul 05

I thought you had a Belkin router previously. Have you changed it for a Netgear but are having the same issues?

mgmcc 07:39 17 Jul 05

There can be problems if a "wireless" adapter loses its IP address, the router isn't aware that it needs to be renewed and the connection is lost. Try using a fixed IP address with the WiFi adapter to see if that resolves the issue.

Rickyv 09:19 17 Jul 05

yeh i took back the belkin one and changed it for a netgear one which is far better. ill try updating the firmware first.

Rickyv 09:22 17 Jul 05

is there any way to re-find the network on the wireless pc?

Rickyv 09:22 17 Jul 05

Rickyv 09:23 17 Jul 05

sorry about the re-posts :S

Dipso 21:49 17 Jul 05

If you are using Windows to set up your wireless network, there is an option to refresh in the wireless properties which will force the card to search for available networks again.

I am currently running a Netgear DG834G with Beta firmware version 2.10.17. There is a later non-beta firmware version 2.10.22 but as the previous worked for me I left well alone. This cleared up some wireless disconnection problems for me.

I say this cleared up "some" problems for me as I also had to update the drivers on my wireless card to prevent the card from losing the signal.

Dipso 22:01 17 Jul 05

It may be worth trying another wireless card to rule that out as being the cause of the disconnections.

I had similar problems when I first got my laptop. I did many a Google until I hit upon a couple of discussion forums in which other people had the same problem as me. I thought I was never going to sort it out but I got there in the end.

Keep persevering it's worth it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…