Netgear Network

Jackcoms 08:17 03 Jul 05

Does anybody know anything about the Netgear wireless network? My laptop at home near Gatwick airport keeps 'inviting' me to connect to it.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that it may be a neighbour using Netgear equipment at home.

Does anybody know?

I'm tempted to connect but wary of the cosequences.

Taff36 09:10 03 Jul 05

What strength is the signal and "whatever" is inviting you to connect will probably tell you what security (encryption) if any, it is using. Tell us a bit more! Can`t see what dire consequences you would suffer by connecting - make sure your encryption is on anyway because "if you can see them, they can see you" and "they" might be using your equipment and BB.

Jackcoms 10:56 03 Jul 05

I'm completely new to wireless, so please bear with me.

No idea about the strength of the signal but it is described as an 'unsecured' network.

How to do I turn on/what is my encryption?

retep888 13:31 03 Jul 05

You can see the signal strength when you click the available network which will tell you the name(SSID)or default name of the network and the signal strength ranging from low to excellent.

Unsecure network means the vendor just pluged the gear in,setup and running, no security had been set, and anyone can join the party.

Depending on the manufacturer,your router's web setup interface should have a wireless security section,on there you can set wireless security using WEP,WPA-PSK,WPA-802.1x,I would go for WPA-PSK at least.

Jackcoms 14:58 03 Jul 05

"your router's web setup interface should have a wireless security section".

I'm not using a router. The laptop has an internal 802.11a/b/g card and I assume it is that which has detected the network.

AndySD 00:14 04 Jul 05

It sounds like you are picking up a nearby network. If you are using XP they shouldent be able to access your pc, but you may well be able to access the internet using their network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…