Netgear Modem Router

numskull 17:15 13 Oct 04

I have recently purchased a Netgear Ethernet DG834 modem and router. All connected fine.
It does seem to be dropping connection when I leave my computer unattended.
It occasionally tells me that the LAN cable is unplugged then immediately tells me that I am connected at 100Mbps. My ISP is Pipex and I have downloaded the latest firmware.
Can anyone explain what is happening.
I have disabled Zone Alarm but that does not seem to make a difference.
XP Pro

anchor 17:51 13 Oct 04

A friend has just installed for me the same router/modem. I also am on Pipex and have no problems.

When using my Toshiba notebook on the wireless connection, I must close Zone Alarm on the PC, or there is no connection on the notebook.

No help for your problem I know. On the box I see it says, 24/7 technical support, (from where I don`t know).

anchor 17:53 13 Oct 04

Forgot to add, XP-Pro on both machines.

numskull 18:34 13 Oct 04

It still does it even when I am at the computer.
The test light came on then the Internet light started flashing amber, now green and connected again.

Sir Radfordin 18:47 13 Oct 04

I had endless problems with this router until I installed SP2 for XP and changed the channel to Ch4 and not 11. Not sure which solved the problem but has been a lot better since doing those two things.

Trolley 19:19 13 Oct 04

The router should not repeatedly drop the connection. Occasional dropping (e.g once a week) is acceptable because ISP's occasionally reset peoples connections after a specific amount of time.

The best thing that you can do is to ring the Netgear Technical support. You will get put through to someone and it is free. They are usually quite helpful, although sometimes are not very clear in their explanations and instructions.

Trolley 19:20 13 Oct 04

Also, the fault described seems to be inherent to the ethernet port to your PC, which should never drop the connection.

numskull 19:26 13 Oct 04

I have a VIA Rhine 2 fast ethernet adapter and when I try to install the ? latest drivers it tells me that it cannot find any, "inf files".

easyrider 19:29 13 Oct 04

It may also be your cable between router and pc is at fault.

Trolley 19:34 13 Oct 04

As easyrider has suggested, check the cable between the computer and the router to ensure that it is not broken in any places.

The latest driver file from Via should contain the inf files required to set up the ethernet adaptor, however, the ethernet adapter sounds to be working correctly. It shouldn't harm to try and download the file again and try to reinstall the drivers.

numskull 19:44 13 Oct 04

Am I supposed to use a CAT5 cable between PC and router or a cross over cable? I think the one supplied is a CAT5

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017