Netgear MA401 Network card

Chubbington 16:53 04 Jun 03

I have one of these running on my Toshiba 4100XCDT laptop. When I try and re-boot with the card in, it stops and tells me to change the CONFIG.SYS settings, as I have a STACKS overflow problem. But it doesn't tell me how to change the settings, and I'm a bit reluctant to experiment in case I stop it re-booting altogether. Any idea what I'm meant to put in?

jazzypop 17:06 04 Jun 03

I suspect that you have a memory manager being loaded via config.sys. Can you copy and paste your config.sys here? Remember to press Enter twice after each line, or it will come out as a jumbled mess on this forum.

Chubbington 19:20 04 Jun 03

REM [Header]
DOS=HIGH,UMB
REM [SCSI Controllers]
REM DEVICE=SCSI.SYS
REM [CD-ROM Drive]
REM DEVICE=CDROM.SYS /D:OEMCD001
REM [Display]
REM DEVICE=DISPLAY.SYS
REM [Sound, MIDI, or Video Capture Card]
REM DEVICE=SOUND.SYS
REM [Mouse]
REM DEVICE=MOUSE.SYS
REM ------------------
REM [Miscellaneous]
REM DEVICE=SMARTDRV.EXE
device=c:\windows\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=044,850,c:\windows\COMMAND\country.sys
ADDS STACKS TO HANDLE HARDWARE INTERRUPTS

jazzypop 19:46 04 Jun 03

I suspect that you need to add a stacks command to config.sys.

See click here for how, and what stacks does.

Are you using W98?

How much memory do you have installed?

Try the values listed in the link above - they can probably be reduced (by trial and error), but it should at least get you up and running.

Chubbington 23:52 04 Jun 03

..And tells me it's going to use the default Stacks settings. I'll have a play around tomorrow and report back. Thanks

Chubbington 21:06 30 Jun 03

I solved this problem by uninstalling a few things, and using a Temp Cleaner utility, and running Norton Systemworks a few times. Not sure quite which of these resolved it, but it was most likely a memory issue. Seems to be OK now, so I'm leaving it as it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…