NETGEAR HELP

LivEviL 16:23 29 Oct 05

righto i have a netgear modem/router DG834GT and iv set it up to the letter of how im supposed to do it! but i cant get it to work! at the moment im on srandard dial up broadband-the speed-touch bt yahoo modem! (thats my ISP BTyahoo) i have posted already about this and i had some feed back and i have done every thing that i was told to! what is wrong? i can get on the setup page ya no the defualt 192.168.0.1 thing but the only way i can is if i have my speed touch modem connected to the internet and my netgear enabled in my LAN surly i should have my telephone line in my netgear to get on that but i cant i have tried uninstalling my BT speed touch driver and software but still i cant get on line with my router! WHY?! please please please can some1 help!

phil46 17:23 29 Oct 05

You don't say if you have wireless card adapters connected or not!! you have to connect the router
to the computer if your using cable from the first computer then you will require an adapter for the other or two adapters and must remove the old modem driver,if i have misunderstood you i'm sorry.
There are hidden charges in setting up a wireless
network.

Forum Editor 17:27 29 Oct 05

doesn't it?

In which case you should connect it directly to your ADSL phone line - you don't need (and shouldn't use) a separate, standalone modem.

The way you set the router up is by connecting it directly to a computer - use the cable that was supplied, and connect one end to one of the router's LAN ports and the other end to the computer's network card. Then type in the IP address for the configuration page, and away you go. Once you've entered your ISP login details and saved them your computer will download the informnation to the router's firmware, and you'll see it connect to your ISP. Once it's done that you can remove the cable between router and computer - or you can leave it connected, it's up tp you. If you remove it you'll need a wireless network adapter in your computer of course.

Completely remove your old modem before you start any of this - you want the router plugged into the phone line, not the modem, and you don't need to be online to configure the router.

retep888 17:46 29 Oct 05

click here

And I think an active thread is going on in the helproom.

Forum Editor 17:55 29 Oct 05

Thank you - I've locked that thread now. We'll continue with this here.

CLONNEN 13:00 30 Oct 05

I think he DOES need an active internet connection to configure the modem/router - I have a Netgear as well and I CANNOT access the 192.168.0.1 page WITHOUT an internet connection.

CLONNEN 13:05 30 Oct 05

Once he has gotten the IP settings into the router configuration and saved it THEN he can alter his Internet Options to Never dial a connection so that the computer will use the LAN settings for the internet connection instead.

Once he has checked he can actually get online using his LAN settings THEN he should disconnect and uninstall his old modem NOT BEFORE.

CLONNEN 13:10 30 Oct 05

There is no reason why he cannot have BOTH his old modem connected to the phone socket AND the new router/modem connected to the ADSL socket - I still have my modem connected to the telephone line despite the fact that I am using broadband through our router. Comes in useful for faxing and it is there as a backup in case the broadband connection runs into difficulties.

jason_1 13:24 31 Oct 05

I think I've got a similar problem,
I bought the Netgear DG834GT with the USB WG111T last friday.
I've got the wg111t talking to the router no problem, and If I use netscape I can get on-line
But if i use IE6 it gets all confused and tries to use a dial-up connection, which is now disconnected so I then get told that that 'whatever' cannot be displayed offline.
I'm using XP pro, but the Netgear software prevents the XP network wizard from working so i'm not sure if my LAN is set-up properly, or how to set my browsers to use the LAN instead of a dial-up connection!

tomsdad 13:48 31 Oct 05

I don’t thinks you have two ADLS modems connected to the same phone line, i have the same router and access my router when it’s not plugged into the telephone line no problem. I think you will find that once you have only got one modem connected you will get on line straight away.

billy_sw 13:40 30 Jul 06

Have tried without success to install a Netgear DG834GT Modem Router that I purchased yesterday. All the relevant lights on the modem have came on as per the installation CD and the cables (ethernet and phone line) are connected correctly along with the filter.

When I get to Step 3 of the set-up CD it asks me to configure the TCP/IP settings on the computer. I don't know how to do this manually and assume that it’s done via the set-up routine. At this stage of the set-up the CD also asks me to click on an operating system (presumably to configure the TCP/IP settings). When I double-click on 'Windows XP' from the list of operating systems nothing happens. (Could the set-up CD be faulty?)

I then re-started the computer and clicked on ‘Settings’ as instructed. This opened my IE6 browser window but it would not connect to click here (the Netgear set up page). Instead I received the message “Cannot find server”. I’ve tried the above a few times.

When I’ve had the new Netgear modem/router plugged in 'Network Connections’ viewed through the Windows Control Panel confirms my old ADSL Speedtouch modem as ‘disconnected under ‘Dial Up’. The "LAN or High Speed Internet 1394 Connection" is shown as being connected. In the ‘Connect using’ box in LAN Properties the Netgear DG834GT is not showing. All that is showing is “LAN 1394 Net Adapter”.

My ISP is Virgin Net.

I’m not all that technically inclined and would welcome any suggestions?

Cheers

Billy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…