Netgear firewall blocking Google

InCog 18:10 25 Jul 08

When my son tries to access Google through my home network he is told 'site blocked by Netgear' though Google is not one of the blocked sites. It has started doing this for some reason - it also does it to my laptop (though I can still access Google). Since it doesn't appear on the list of banned sites, how can I stop Netgear doing it?

sinbads 18:22 25 Jul 08

which model do you have?

InCog 18:24 25 Jul 08

The router is a DG834G.

sinbads 18:42 25 Jul 08

seem odd that I had a simular problem with live messenger not working.

The isswue was resolved by upgrading the firmware.
you will need to find your DG834G version which you will find on the underside of your router mine is version2 (V2) yours maybe V3 or V4

select the version from the link .....from the download page select the latest version (uk) if you live here it will be the top one.

Download and save to your desktop you may need to unzip

access your router 192.168.0.1..user name and password.

once there select router upgrade browse to the unzipped folder location(desktop)then upload.

LEAVE ALONE to complete follow instructions

sinbads 18:43 25 Jul 08

click here a link would help!

InCog 13:47 26 Jul 08

If my version of my netgear DG834G is v2, can I update the firmware to version 3 or 4. There's something on the website which implies you cannot. Anyway, I installed v3.01.38 and it hasn't made any difference. I did discover that my son's PC had 150 viruses and spyware infections on it which I have now removed but the firewall is still blocking Google. Someone on the netgear forum suggested re-installing the router software but I'm not sure which version of the firmware I can use.

brundle 13:55 26 Jul 08

Have you tried disabling site blocking in the Netgear config?

brundle 13:56 26 Jul 08

Not permanently of course

InCog 14:03 26 Jul 08

I haven't tried this but what would it establish if Google wasn't blocked?

brundle 14:05 26 Jul 08

Whether the router is going wrong? Whether your machines have a spyware infection that redirects your searches behind the scenes?

Ditch999 14:29 26 Jul 08

Your hosts file may have been altered by spyware as brundle says.
It is highly unlikely that your router is blocking Google. It is more likely that some spyware is redirecting your browser to a bad website and the router is blocking that.
Download and update Spybot Search and Destroy from safer-networking.org click here and apply Immunisation.
When thats done reboot in to Safe Mode and run the scan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…