Netgear DG834PN - can I limit wireless access?

F O X 14:25 02 May 07

I have a wireless network using a Netgear DG834PN router and am wondering whether it is possible to restrict access to the network by certain computers depending on the time of day.

The reason I ask is that perennial problem of teenage kids; both of my kids have PC’s which are connected to the network, and it is sometimes difficult to get them off their computers and moving in the direction of their bedrooms at an appropriate time! I was thinking that if I could set up the router so that it would only allow them access to the network within certain specific times then that might make life a bit easier. I have already enabled MAC address filtering so that only “known” addresses can access the network – is it possible to refine this further by only allowing some of those addresses access between say 4.00pm and 9.00pm each weekday, and between 9.00am and 10.00pm each weekend? I would still want to allow certain other computers to have unrestricted access.

Before I switched to broadband I was able to do this on my dial-up connection – the kids each had their own individual ID’s to log on with, and I could set it up to restrict their access to a maximum of ‘X’ hours per day and then only between the hours of ‘Y’ and ‘Z’.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

irishrapter 15:12 03 May 07

If you have a look at Security Settings / Firewall Rules and click "Add"

In there you can add a service called "ANY (ALL)" and pick "Block by Schedule, otherwise allow"

Then you can pick a single or range IP address, so its best to have the router to assign the same IP addresses to each computer therefore you know who has what IP address. (You can do this in "LAN IP SETUP" under Address Reservation)

Back at the firewall settings, you can Block by Schedule, otherwise allow the IP address you want. Under "WAN User" leave as "ANY"

Then go to Schedule, in there you can setup a Schedule by time and day for when you want the router to block all traffic.

Make sure you tick "Adjust for Daylight Savings Time" or your time in the router will be out by an hour!

P.S
You say you have MAC address filtering on, I hope you also have encryption enabled???
MAC addresses are very easy to fake.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017