Netgear DG834GT only 54mps

bluenote 00:09 27 Jan 06

My netgear834gt is supposed to run at 108mps but my laptop only sees 54mps.It has built in wifi but do I need a netgear WG511T 108 wireles card to get the higher speed.

Pikachu 08:30 27 Jan 06

Yes - in order for you to make use of the 108Mbs on your router you do need a compatible wireless card in your laptop such as the one you mention in your thread.

I bought a Netgear WGT624 a while back now and I noticed the same difference, buy the wireless card and set it up to channel 6 and you should benefit from the 108mbs.

bluenote 18:19 27 Jan 06

Thanks Dark Cloud.

bluenote 16:42 29 Jan 06

I have tried to install a WG511T but I get no connection.My original connection with the built in wi fi works fine.

Dipso 21:46 29 Jan 06

Did you disable the built-in wireless card before trying the WG511T? I just wondered if your problem was due to a conflict.

Do you really need 108Mbps? 54Mbps is fine for home broadband connections. You would only see a benefit from 108Mbps if you share files across your home network. Sorry if you know this already :)

bluenote 00:12 30 Jan 06

DipsoI did not switch the onboard wireless card on ,but I did not disable it .Do you think this could be the problem.!08 is supposed to give a stronger sinal over longer distances.I get a very low signal where I usualy use my laptop.

Pikachu 08:09 30 Jan 06

1.) Disable your current wifi.
2.) Did you install the software that came with the wireless card?
3.) There are updated drivers for the WG511T have you installed them. See here version 3.9 click here
( I have had problems with the drivers that came with the CD )
4.) If you installed the software have you setup WEP Encyption on the router?
If you set the router with WEP then you need to set the password on your Laptop to.
5.) Have you checked system devices and ensured your wireless card is setup?

Dipso 22:19 30 Jan 06

Have you got the latest firmware for the router, this may help with the signal problem.

LivEviL 22:30 30 Jan 06

hey i use that type of router and i get a low signal but with the software i got with my wifi card it tells me i have "excellent" signal it never breaks or freezes and always runs quick! thats my two cents!

also make sure u have the latest firmware

this is the latest its not on the netgear site

click here

bluenote 00:06 31 Jan 06

thanks for your input guys.I have the latest fimware and I got to the connect window but i have forgotten my password .I will have to go back to the factory settings and atart from the beginning.I'll let you know how I get on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now