Netgear DG834GB v2 disallows ...

Stonechatz 20:32 02 Apr 06

... certain of my favourite sites - like Barclays or LloydsTSB; or even Hotmail. All other sites are AOK. It is not a firewall problem, as I have the firewall switched OFF and same consequence. Why? :))

ade.h 20:55 02 Apr 06

Packets.

Or to expand on that; I think it's very possible that the MTU threshold (which dictates what size of packet is let through and what is dropped) may be too low. Trouble is, adjusting the MTU can sometimes cause your ISP connection to fail. It's essential that you make a backup of your router's settings file when adjusting MTU values, just in case. (I had to restore mine recently when my ISP would not accept a higher MTU and changing it back to the previous sigure was not enough to get the connection back).

Either that, or your client software firewall is to blame, but I'm guessing that you probably haven't changed that recently.

ade.h 20:57 02 Apr 06

For "too low" read "too high".

Stonechatz 22:59 02 Apr 06

I know that for AOL the MTU has to be 1400 there or thereabouts - am I right in that at all?

ade.h 23:50 02 Apr 06

1458 I think. Fortunately though, I don't know any AOL users (apart from one who's on dial-up). Networking with AOL presents unique obstacles!

Stonechatz 21:41 03 Apr 06

:))

wobblymike 22:31 03 Apr 06

a recent experience of mine which may help

click here

wobblymike 22:32 03 Apr 06

sorry missed the resolved tick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac