Netgear DG834G Wireless settings and security

georgemac 09:30 31 Jul 04

Have just got my broadband connection and am using the above wireless router to access the internet connected to the main pc with a network cable, and using a netgear usb wireless adaptor from a remote pc.

I have changed the ssid name on both pc's, turned off broadcast of ssid, but am confused about the security options which are set by default to disable.

Option are

WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)

WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)

WPA-802.1x

should I enable any of these?

I also could not post to here without disabling my sygate firewall, and may have to do this again now. The router should have a hardware firewall? Sygate has already detected 2 incoming packets of info which I blocked.

I installed the freedom firewall that was linked to by the router setup software but it conflicted with avg so I used system restore to get rid of it, as the uninstaller could not uninstall it.

georgemac 09:40 01 Aug 04

bump

newts 17:00 06 Aug 04

All readups say you should use WEP at 128, disable SSID broadcast which you have done and then install a firewall on each PC/laptop. I run Zone Alarm 4.5 on each (not 5 as this gives problems) Leave the router's own firewall to allow nothing in but all out. I have run sometime like this with no problems at all. Hope this is some help.

newts 17:09 06 Aug 04

Have you downloaded the latest firmware version 1.50.00 as some of the ealier versions gave aggro

georgemac 17:39 06 Aug 04

yes - one of the first things I did was download the 1.50 version firmware - very straightforward.

I have also enabled 128 bit wep as you suggested, to be honest as I had not had any advice I forgot about the thread.

I did remove sygate from my pc though, as I was having problems with windows update. I take your point though about the router firewall letting anything out, so will reinstall sygate.

I left sygate on my sons pc.

I also found out how to tighten up the aerial and wireless reception improved greatly!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…