Netgear DG834G v TalkTalk

oldbeefer2 09:07 05 Dec 06

My daughter has suffered endless problems with Talktalk. The latest is with her one month old router. Two weeks ago, the ADSL lamp started flashing amber and she's been unable to connect her laptop to the net. The Netgear manual says this light indicates 'ADSL training'. She is on a fixed 512 connection and not BT Max (which, I thought, was where 'training' took place). Anyone any suggestions, please?

oldbeefer2 09:22 06 Dec 06

Nobody any ideas?

Kate B 10:09 06 Dec 06

Have you tried a different router?

oldbeefer2 13:10 06 Dec 06

Not yet - other end of the country from me. Was a new one and worked OK to start with (apart from dropping out all the time and no connection at weekends. Mind, it was the same with her previous modem). Might wait and see what happens when she finally manages to swap ISPs.

Dipso 16:58 06 Dec 06

click here

"If the WAN light is off or blinking yellow, contact your ISP."

Suggests a problem with Talk Talk rather than the router.

Is she a long way from the exchange? click here

oldbeefer2 10:10 08 Dec 06

Thanks, again, for your time. Yes, it's the WAN light that's blinking. Trying to contact TalkTalk has proved all but impossible. She is 3.47km from the exchange as the crow flies but, I would guess, closer to 6km if the cables follow the main road. ADSL guide says she should be OK for 512Kbs. Still trying to get a MAC out of TT. Will see what happens when she has migrated to (probably) Eclipse (their customer service seems to be rated quite highly compared with TT who are just about the worst!

Dipso 10:33 08 Dec 06

The Netgear DG834G is actually one of the routers recommended for long lines so again the problem points to the ISP.

Good luck with the quest for the MAC. Before you decide on the new ISP have a look at the latest reviews for Eclipse before she commits herself...

oldbeefer2 13:11 08 Dec 06

Will do. Trouble is, not many at the cheaper end seem to be well rated. I'm with Vispa who have been fantastic, but they still charge a set up fee. Might be worth it in the long run, though.

oldbeefer2 13:13 08 Dec 06

This is the latest I can find click here Seems OK?

FreeCell 13:47 08 Dec 06

Has your daughter tried switching the router off (unplugging as Netgear doesn't have on/off switch I don't think? Leave off for 10 mins and then power up again.

This has resolved problems others have had with ADSL lines appearing to have been dropped. Worth a try if not been done yet.

Dipso 13:51 08 Dec 06

I had noticed some adverse reports on the other forums I frequent click here# and click here

Funnily enough Vispa comes 4th in the DSL Zone ratings behind my ISP IDNet ;)

I notice the Vispa site says migrations are free...why did you think there was a set up fee?

Don't want to put you off Eclipse they may be fine for your daughters needs, just wanted you to make an informed choice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…