NETGEAR DG834G problems

Pablo1978 13:12 19 Oct 06

Hi

I have just got an AOL silver broadband pack which came with a Netgear DG834G router. My wife set up the wired connection to her desktop computer and i want to connect wirelessly on my laptop. My laptop is a Dell 6400 with a Centrino Duo chip which i believe means i don't need an adapter.

When i run the software on my laptop it tells me that it cannot detect my adapter. The thing that confuses me though is that i can get a very weak signal from my neighbours broadband.

I phoned AOL and to say they were useless would be an understatement. I spoke with a chap who had no patients what so ever and after trying a few things just hung up on me.

I spoke to another person who talled me through going to the router setting (with the ether cable in my laptop) and just changing a few of them. I thought this might have done the trick but as soon as i pressed apply a little message popped up saying something like "connection not available"

I have taken the Mcafee firewall of and still nothing comes up. Any help would be really appreciated.

Aargh 15:29 19 Oct 06

Not familiar with your router, but is it set so your SSID is hidden etc, so your PC cannot see it. Make sure it is visible, then try again.

If your laptop gets a signal from one network, it should be capable of seeing yours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…