Netgear DG834G or DG834PN router

nilefish 09:55 AM 17 Sep 11

Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase a new router for my talktalk broadband , I found few fast router around but I'm not sure of the compatility issue and talklak customer services offer no help. The above 2 routers are compitable but I dont know which one is better or if there is one faster and better I have a desktop 2 laptops and PS3 , I'm heavey user

any help is appreciated.

mgmcc 10:06 AM 18 Sep 11

The DG834G is Netgear's original 802.11g 54Mbps wireless ADSL Modem/Router.

The DG834PN appears to be a variant using a proprietary speed boosting technology to give a wireless connection speed of 108Mbps in conjunction with compatible Netgear Wireless Network Adapters.

This sort of proprietary technology has been superseded by the 802.11n standard which, depending on the hardware used, gives a connection speed of 150Mbps or 300Mbps.

These speeds are, of course, the wireless speeds at which communication between computer and router takes place, not the speed of your broadband internet connection. If you have an 802.11n (150/300Mbps) adapter installed in the computer, I'd look for a proper 802.11n wireless router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 4K screen is purpose-built for showcasing digital art

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know