Netgear DG834G firewall

ArsenalFC 22:05 17 Apr 05

Hi,

I have set up the Netgear DG834G on my main computer and laptop, but how do I use the unit's firewall, and how do I encrypt, making the laptop's use of internet secure?

VoG II 22:10 17 Apr 05

Doesn't it come with a manual?

fitcher 22:40 17 Apr 05

netgear is firewalled ,and the encription on your wireless laptop should be ok .I only use free avg on my wireless laptop ,and have norton on my main computer .had no problems yet .some times I dissengage norton (the globe in task bar )to go on the web .. I also have switched off the windows fire wall,

fitcher 22:46 17 Apr 05

the simple way is to open internet explorer and in the address bar type http//192.168.0.1 ( of course have your disk in cdrom )when prompted enter ...admin ......then the word ...password follow the simple instuctions away you go dead easy ..good luck

ArsenalFC 22:43 18 Apr 05

The Netgear did not come with a manual, just a little slip of paper that informed me of the basics for connecting the router.
A CD was included; it took me through the process of connection, and there are titles about security/firewall, but it explains nothing!!
Is there someone out there who has actual used/installed Netgear router?

The BB 23:12 18 Apr 05

There is a manual on the CD or download from the Netgear site

Set it all up wired first abd then you know things are working before going onto wireless

As to set up, depending on your client use either 128 WEP or WPA

Think of an unusual name for your network and don't allow broadcast of the SSID )enable as a wireless point only).

Check your Region is set up correctly and choose a channel away from the default - your laptop might show other networks around and you can avoid these.

Change your password to the router too.

... and BTW there is now a Network forum that you might want to pursue this on later

ArsenalFC 19:27 24 Apr 05

I have found there is indeed a manual included on the disk supplied with the router - all 178 pages! The tag to it was lurking near the bottom of the main page.

Thanks to all of you for assistance.

ArsenalFC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…