Netgear DG834G

amonra 16:22 28 Jul 08

After seeking advice from this forum I bought and installed the above modem/router on my XP system and it works quite well.
On my old (cheap) wired modem/router I used to obtain a consistent 2.7Gbps "down" speed and 377Kbps "up".
Since fitting this wireless modem I can only achieve about 1.8Gbps "down". Have the forum got any tips for getting the speed back up to scratch ???
My BT line is not in the best condition, being loaded with bad joints and aluminium cable so I dont expect miracles, but I would have thought I'd get a similar performance to the old. Your thoughts and ideas please........

OK Computer 16:46 28 Jul 08

I could be wrong but I can't see how it can be your Netgear that is causing the downgraded broadband speeds, although it obviously appears that way. The router itself is capable of 54Mbps throughput.

The Kestrel 17:16 28 Jul 08

If you are using a wireless connection to your PC, try changing the channel being used by your router. This can often improve speeds for wireless connections.

sinbads 17:44 28 Jul 08

Are you using filters on all your phones outlets in use? click here=$solution_id&docPropValue=kb167 also if possible connect your router to the master socket. click here

sinbads 17:45 28 Jul 08

sorry ignor the first link

anchor 17:55 28 Jul 08

I have the same modem/router. It is connected to the main PC desktop via Ethernet, and the download speeds are excellent.

My laptop is mostly used downstairs, & connected via Wifi. The speeds are OK, but not quite as good as on my desktop.

How is your computer connected to the Netgear; Ethernet or WiFi?.

amonra 21:42 28 Jul 08

Main telephone box has been changed for a built-in filter type and the ADSL lead comes straight to the desktop. Desktop is connected via ethernet cable (2 m) and laptop via the wireless link (approx 30m).
Just double checked the speeds after a lightning storm, and were as follows :

Desktop 2.3Gbps Laptop (wireless) 2.2Gbps

Something strange going on here somewhere. I can put up with the slight drop in speed from my original modem (2.7Gbp) but there is an inconsistency in results. Will have to keep a longer record to see how things pan out.
Thank you all for your time...............
Thank you all for your input, will advise you if anything positive shows up.

sinbads 23:02 28 Jul 08

DG834G V? which version is it see label on bottom of your router, may need a firmware update.

Speed of your connection can vary depending on the time of day, i wouldn't think its your router , try removing the face plate of the master socket and plug your router into the test socket... part three shows the test socket when faceplate is removed click here
by doing this any poor connections will be eliminated.
Should there be a ignificant improvement then i would suspect faulty wireing ext sockets etc

woodchip 23:16 28 Jul 08

You could try this as I think its windows settings, But you can also try altering MTU settings in Router try them in router at 1430 click here

woodchip 23:19 28 Jul 08

Just got 5696 kbps click here

woodchip 23:20 28 Jul 08

That should be 5969 kbps and its poor for me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…