Netgear DG834G

welsdom 20:03 18 Sep 07

Please Help
I have just brought this netgear modem router in place of my bt home hub which quite frankly is shockingly awful.
I have tried to hook it up today but it will not recognise my adsl connection but when i hooked the bt one back up it connected to the net straight away, having spent an hour on the phone with one of netgears (un)helpful advisors i was advised to send it back and buy a new one,
can someone explain to me how to make this work please.
i want the router to connect to my desktop via ethernet and my laptop via wireless, an i also want a lan connection between the two.
I really hope someone can help me here i am really pulling my hair out
Thanks in advance

BurrWalnut 20:16 18 Sep 07

Have you set up the router, i.e. connecting it by the Ethernet cable, opening a browser window, typing 192.168.0.1 and keying in your ISP details?

welsdom 20:19 18 Sep 07

when i went through the net gear wizard thing, it went to a netgear site to configure the router an it couldnt go any further due to no internet connection is this the same thing, the internet light on the router was just constantly flashing amber as well

BurrWalnut 20:27 18 Sep 07

When you plug the Ethernet cable in you're only connecting to the router not the internet. You don't need any software when you're using the cable.

Make sure all the lights are the colours they're supposed to be before connecting the Ethernet cable. I don't know the exact model but perhaps it's best to reset the router by pressing the reset button on the router.

Once the lights are on (presumably green) plug in the cable and type 192. etc. to supply your ISP details.

welsdom 20:46 18 Sep 07

ok just hooked the router up again an done as you suggested the internet light is constantly flashing amber think this means waiting to establish an internet connection tried the 192 etc an it took me to the setup page but could not go any further due to there being no internet connection, which i clearly have as i am posting this using the home hub
not much hair left :)))

BurrWalnut 21:07 18 Sep 07

I can only repeat the normal setup routine :
Plug the router into the mains power and telephone socket (filter).
Wait for the lights to turn green.
Plug in the Ethernet cable.
Type 192.168.0.1 then key in user name and password (both admin)
The router setup page appears and you key in your account details.

You would have done all this to setup the Home Hub except that you typed 192.168.1.254.
All I can think is that the router is faulty.

welsdom 21:09 18 Sep 07

nah its not workin still cant find an internet connection thanks for your help anyway m8

robbiepaul79 10:44 19 Sep 07

If the ADSL line is not connecting it sounds like a hardware fault, i myself had no problems with my new router of the same type quality piece of kit i think you just must of got a bad one.

LAPTOPBABE 15:04 19 Sep 07

My netgear dg834g was simple to set up and i have done three other family members with the same router in a jiffy. It must be faulty, take it back and try again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…