Netgear DG834 modem/router.

Meshuga 20:07 02 May 04

After reading good reports on these forums about the above modem I had a look at netgears web site and noticed that some people had reported that a certain aspect would not work. I cant remember exactly what it was but it was something along the lines of "FTPor TPF" would not work.Anybody any idea what this might refer to.Sorry to be so vague. Lots of others gave an excellent report. Am considering getting one.Regards,Meshuga.

byfordr 22:27 02 May 04

click here

Not sure but will bump up to the top if nothing else! Got the DG834G which is the wireless version. Only £100 including one adapter, may be worth a look. See the link above...

R

Meshuga 06:07 03 May 04

Many thanks byfordr. I had already checked this site and thats where I got the info from. Just checked it again and 2 of the customer reviews say that it will not upload FTP, whatever that is.Thats why I posted my query asking what is "FTP". Maybe somebody will know. Thanks for responding anyway. Regards,Meshuga.

Meshuga 08:50 03 May 04

Further to the above query, I have done a search on the internet by just typing in FTP and it came up with "An interface to allow transfer of files" AKA Internet File Transfer Protocol or click here be of interest to others. Regards, Meshuga.

Meshuga 09:00 03 May 04

Sorry, that click here wrong,should be
unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/cgi/man-cgi?ftp

byfordr 10:45 03 May 04

FTP = File transfer Process

click here

I use it extensively at work in a Unix environment, I've never needed to use it at home.

TPF = Transaction Processing Facility

click here

Again I would wonder why you would need to use this in the home environment?

Check out the pdf datasheets on the netgear website. click here

What exactly do you want to do with your home network? What are you trying to connect? What os/ etc?

HTH

R

Meshuga 14:59 03 May 04

Hi byfordr. Having now found out what it is i now realise that i dont need ftp anyway. I only intend using the second pc to access the internet through the main pc. I use XP on both new pc,s. Many thanks for your interest. Regards, Meshuga.

ensonricky 15:38 03 May 04

Use FTP and 834G Modem/Router without problem.

byfordr 18:59 03 May 04

click here
click here
click here

Should tell you all you need to know about FTP and netgear.

HTH

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac