Netgear DG834 always on or not?

Dave911 04:29 22 Sep 06

I have just installed the above router at a friends house and they are on a broadband tarriff which is priced by time on line (ie more than 8 hours a day and you pay more - wanadoo something!). I removed the USB speed touch modem which so far as I could see only connected when you opened IE.
I believe that the netgear now has an always on connection or am I mistaken - does to IP only see you as connected when either you tuen the computer on or when you are using the internet to either browse or email etc. If this is not the case then she may be exceeding her allowed connection time.
If it is always on - is there a way to set up the router so that it is only connected when you open a program that connects to the internet.
I have told her to contact her IP (now orange) and se what her usage is and suggsted maybe it is a good idea to go onto a different package.
Comments please.

ade.h 14:57 22 Sep 06

The router cannot respond to program launches - there is simply no way for that to happen unless it has Dial on Demand. The DG834G and variants have DoD, I believe, but the old DG834 may not. DoD is intended for time/data limited or PAYG ISPs, but is sometimes a little hit and miss, due to the nature of a LAN connection. I'll leave it at that before this turns into an essay.

Frequently (particularly with Netgears - see recent threads), quite the opposite happens - a lack of activity causes the router to drop the ADSL line and ISP link.

ade.h 20:20 22 Sep 06

?

Dave911 07:09 23 Sep 06

Thanks Ade
The router is a version 2, so one of the first ones I think. I have spoken to my friend and she has been in touch with her ISP and always on is not a problem, I think when they changed to orange - the package automatically changed.
I have looked at the routers settings and see no DoD facility - so am assuming that it does not have it.
As it is no longer an issue I will tick it and in future tell them to ensure it is an always on connection - then I don't have to worry about it.
Thanks for the info - DoD - had never heard of it before, you learn something new every day!

Thanks
Dave

ade.h 15:25 23 Sep 06

Thanks for the feedback, Dave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…