Netgear DG824M Router - Leave it on/Switch it off?

bubbles2 00:05 14 Sep 03

I have recently installed a netgear dg824m modem/router as the hub for my wireless network.

Without having to trawl through the set up and user instructions I wondered if anyone knew whether it was ok to leave it plugged in and switched on 24/7 even when it is not being used - it is used maybe 2-3 hours each evening.

Thanks

wiznyme 00:27 14 Sep 03

Purely on grounds of energy conservation, there's no point wasting energy for 21hrs per day.

There is a very remote chance that someone may decide to user their wifi enabled laptop outside your front door to access your network connection but as long as you have a firewall wireless encryption & mac address filtering in place your fairly safe.

bubbles2 10:30 14 Sep 03

Am I correct in assuming that switching it on and off every day will do no harm to its settings etc??

fitfella29 10:47 14 Sep 03

ive had my router switched on 24/7 for the past 12 months since i got it and its done no harm and as for wasting energy its not gonna take up power leaving it on 24/7 is it.

SEASHANTY 10:52 14 Sep 03

I swith both my router and modem off when the PC is not in use. As one of the postings above says. Why waste energy. It does no harm switching it on and off. Maybe helps save that little bit of earths resources for future generations.

zoomer 11:22 14 Sep 03

there is a school of thought that says continual swith on/off hot/cold cycles will shorten lifespan of electronics.........but we`re nitpicking. I`d sometimes leave it on and sometimes switch it off, as largely whatever you do it isnt going to matter a hill of beans.

billyliv 12:06 14 Sep 03

Hi, All my gear (Including D-Link router) is plugged into an 8 way surge protector which is fixed to the side of my computer table. When I am finished with the computer for the session I switch off at the surge protector. Being one of 'TERRYS TOGS' I am always wary of leaving electrical gear switched on. cheers, Bill

bubbles2 12:12 14 Sep 03

OK Thanks everyone - I guess it`s down to personal preference rather than neccesity then.
Either way I suppose will not make a vast amount of difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…