Netgear DG384G & MSN Messenger 7 - No Audio

Manic Hobbit 17:35 08 Apr 05

Running XP SP2 with DG384G and MSN Messenger.
Webcam is working fine both ways (can see and be seen), but I cannot get an audio conversation with anyone.

I've checked the Netgear support site and have created Services on the Netgear for ports 1863, 6901 & 6891-6900 then created firewall rules to allow inbound traffic forwarded to 192.168.0.2 (the IP address of the PC on the network using the webcam).

Running MSN 7 (beta), though the audio never worked on MSN 6.2 either.

MTU set to 1350 as advised by my ISP.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Manic Hobbit 20:12 08 Apr 05

Back to top to see if anyone has any ideas

Hi there,

I have had the same problem with Messenger - video works fine but no audio. I experimented with Skype (plugged in my microphone) and found the combination works very well.
Give it a go.

John.

Technotiger 21:46 08 Apr 05

Hi, I think just about everybody has the same problem - as jomahony say Skype is the answer for audio.

Cheers.

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 22:38 08 Apr 05

ha some one at work told me about this problenm with some web cams it has some thing to do with XP if the two machines are running windows XP you get no adio I was told that the way around it was I think to remove the person from messenger then re invite them. I dont know if it work have not got a web cam

anchor 08:53 09 Apr 05

This has been a perennial problem with MSN for a long time; as far as I know no real solution has been found.

There have been various threads on this in the past.

johnnyrocker 09:05 09 Apr 05

best bet either skype or yahoo messenger which works tikkety boo with audio and visual

johnny.

Manic Hobbit 18:15 10 Apr 05

I'm using a Trust 320 [email protected] integrated cam and mic, works fine with yahoo messenger.

SHowing my ignorance, what is skype?
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll give 'em a go.

Cheers

Technotiger 18:54 10 Apr 05

Hi, have alook here - free download

click here

Cheers.

abbisdaddy 21:30 12 Apr 05

I had the exact same set up and problem.

Found something else on the web.

In XP control panel>admin tools>services

enable the Universal Plug And Play (UPnP) service.

Worked for me

Manic Hobbit 08:58 20 Apr 05

Enabling the UPnP certainly seemed to fix the problem with the audio.

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…