Netgear with Actiontec

redeyenewby 08:43 AM 28 Nov 10

I have an Actiontec Router connected to my NTL modem and an Actiontec receiver connected to my wife's PC. I have just bought an Epson allinone with wireless connectivity. I have a Netgear Router I bought a while ago and I used it for a short time then removed it so as to allow my Actiontec Router to communicate with my wife's PC. I would like to use the Netgear because I can set up a secure network connection with it, but I also want to use my Laptop which has wireless connectivity. Questions@- Can I set up my Netgear with my wife's Actiontec receiver and set up a connection with my laptop with a secure network? Thankyou in advance.

mgmcc 09:09 AM 28 Nov 10

All wireless hardware conforms to standard protocols - 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n etc - so you shouldn't have any problem using the Netgear router instead of the Actiontec.

I don't understand what additional security the Netgear router is going to provide, but go ahead and try it for yourself.

redeyenewby 10:34 AM 28 Nov 10

mgmcc, Thank you for your response. Are you saying that I can set up a secure network using Actiontec? So I wouldn't need to use the Netgear?

redeyenewby 10:37 AM 28 Nov 10

mgmcc, Sorry, Further questions. How would I set up a secure network weth Actiontec> Thank you.

mgmcc 11:34 AM 28 Nov 10

I am not familiar with the Actiontec, but standard procedure with routers is to access their configuration pages by typing their IP address into a web browser.

If you don't know the router's IP address, run IPCONFIG /ALL in a Command Prompt window and look for the "Default Gateway" address for your network adapter - that's the router's IP address.

You may be prompted for a Username/Password and that should be either in the manual or on a label on the underside of the router.

Once into the configuration pages, there should be an option in the wireless settings to enable WEP, WPA or WPA2 encryption.

Having said that, if your wife is already connecting wirelessly, is she not using a "secured" connection?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

New Apple TV 2015 release date rumours: Apple TV 'launching in September' plus patent filed for…