Netgear "108" - Stuck in 2nd gear

rk19 20:40 29 Apr 04

On the basis of their adverts and the PCA review for a speed of 108, ie double 54G, I bought a Netgear wireless networking system of a DM602 ADSL Modem, WGT624 Router, and WG311T PCI network card at almost twice the price of a standard 54G system. This works fine on 54G but slows to a crawl on 108. I have talked to Netgear numerous times, initially via their call centre in India at peak National Call prices, with no help whatsoever(they said it was a network problem but how could it be if it worked fine at 54G?). Eventually talked to Netgear UK. They have investigated the problem and I have had an email reply from them :

"Dear Sir,

I have tested here and appear to get similar results.

I have reported this to our firmware engineers in America to investigate.

I should get a response from them shortly.

I will be in contact with you once I have a resolution to your problem. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

Denis Cooper"

I am rather annoyed as I spent almost twice as much buying their 108 system as I would have done a standard 54G system. I have asked for a refund of the difference in price between the 2 systems and have had no reply.

Surely this cannot be fair trading.

AcidBurn7uk 22:07 29 Apr 04

My dad has just bought exactly the same gear. He has the router. 1 wireless in a laptop and one inwireless PCI card in a second PC.

I do believe that there is an option within the routers configuration to do with "getting the full" 108mbs. Also make sure that regions etc are set properly.

ALSO...Is there any thick walls/obstructions between the Modem/Router/Card as this can seriously degrade signal strenth, therefore reducing network speed!

Hope this helps, because this is as much knowlodge on the equipment that I have!!

rk19 10:30 30 Apr 04

Thanks but I have tried both 108 alone and 108 "auto" with security on and off. Connection strenght at both 108 and 54g is registered as "excellent" but the transfer speed falls off dramatically on 108 to the extent that although the network is recognised it is unusable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…