netdetect.exe error - Norton - Registry blip?

bcobbold 08:31 27 Jan 09

As I start my Windows XP SP3 machine i get an annoying error message that states it cannot find C:/Chris~1/Local~1/netdetect.exe

Press the OK, then is says 'Windows cannot find the path, make sure the path is correct or delete the reference from your registry'.

After you push OK again, the rest of the machine boots up fine and Norton comes up as usual. Is it a norton application reference in the registry that has a bit missing?

I looked at 'regedit' and it was all in letters and numbers so way out of my league. Anyone help?

Thank you in advance,
Brian

crosstrainer 08:47 27 Jan 09

Download and run:

click here

click here

Malware infection:

click here

Install and run these tools (including the registry cleaner in ccleaner0 BACKUP the registry first, using the option provided.

You either still have, or have parts of a malware infection.

bcobbold 10:52 27 Jan 09

Still there.
It says 'Could not run D:\Docume~1\Christ\~1\Locals\~1netdetect.exe specified in the registry'

Did the super spyware scan and clear and ccleaner registry.

Is there a specific line that needs reoving amongst all the machine code? I havet a clue what i am looking at there.

crosstrainer 12:37 27 Jan 09

Have you tried running the new utilities in safe mode?

Tap the F8 key as you boot your pc and choose safe mode from the menu, then run ccleaner (scan the registry as well as files) and Superantispyware.

Editing the registry is not something I could advise you on without seeing the machine, and I suspect that you may still have an infection there.

Another utility (not free I'm afraid) is:
click here

But will detect the errors so that you can see whats what.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant