netbooks and problems playing back dvd's

gerryp25 23:22 11 Aug 10

HI, I am interested in buying a netbook but after looking at various forums it appears that Microsoft have stopped Windows media playing back dvd's. Apparantly they require you to upgrade from the Starter Edition to Premium for $79 for a 20 something line of code which when posted back to Microsoft enables you to upgrade and then you are allowed to use external dvd player to play back films etc.
I was in john Lewis today and queried the fact that the Starter edition would not play back dvd's but the salesman assured me that as long as the netbook had Windows Media player everything would work correctly.
Has anyone any experience with netbooks playing back dvd's?, I thought I would ask the experts!!
and get some correct information

scotty 09:50 12 Aug 10

Agree that VLC is an excellent media player.

Interesting link Lazarus! Quote from the link:
"With the Windows 7 Starter Edition, restrictions on the netbook-only version of the operating system will be an unwelcome surprise for many netbook buyers, according to a survey published Monday. Sixty-one percent of consumers do not know that Windows 7 Starter lacks some features standard in any version of Windows XP, such as support for multiple monitors, DVD playback -- even the ability to change the desktop image from the Microsoft logo."

Not a lot of people know that.

It makes me appreciate Linux all the more. Put Mint on daughters Acer One (8GB SSD version) and it runs like a dream.

kristain 10:24 12 Aug 10

Real Player is one more option.

gerryp25 22:31 12 Aug 10

Thanks for all your help!!, why are Microsoft doing this, there must be a lot of people affected and unable to get help, they might not have the help of PC Advisor.
Thanks again, I'll have another look at which netbook to get now I know it can be worked around.

rdave13 22:44 12 Aug 10

The choice is yours. Get a netbook with Mac or Windows or Linux.
I'd certainly look for another OS if you dislike Windows so much.
Simple really, don't you think?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac