Netbook purchase advice

GrannyA 19:33 25 Jun 10

My daughter is buying me a netbook. I have looked at various reviews and like asus. However, what is the benefit
of Bluetooth? I am used to XP but am told that Windows
7 is easy and newer. Do any of them 'burn' a CD ( with external bit) I will use when travelling for internet, emails, photos,skype, a spreadsheet and photos. Max price £350
thank you.

GrannyA 19:36 25 Jun 10

Forgot one point, if possible I would like to be able to increase the font size on screen when necessary.

woodchip 20:54 25 Jun 10

Samsung is best to go for, I have a nc 10

mgmcc 22:02 25 Jun 10

>>> However, what is the benefit of Bluetooth?

The Netbook could be connected to a Bluetooth enabled phone, so that the phone can be used as a modem for internet access. Also for transferring photos between phone and Netbook.

>>> Do any of them 'burn' a CD (with external bit)

Windows 7 "Starter Edition", which is used in Netbooks, supports burning of both CD and DVD when a suitable external drive is attached.

chub_tor 08:20 26 Jun 10

I recently purchased an HP MIni-210 from Staples who have them on sale. Great machines, good spec and you can get them for around £240. One example click here I bought mine from the local store but got the version with the bigger hard drive the 1011ea for the same price but later upgraded the Windows 7 starter ot the full Home package so that I could have all the aero effects and other added features.

I use an external DVD writer from LG on one of the USB sockets and that works fine. I have no need of Bluetooth but my son uses it with his mobile phone and his SatNav.

onthelimit 09:10 26 Jun 10

I too have an NC10 - chosen for its large keyboard and 8hr battery life. You will find W7 takes a bit of getting used to, but it's quite intuitive. An external drive will only cost £20-30 and runs from a USB port. I do find the mini-mouse that I've bought easier to use than the Samsung touchpad. Font size? Assuming the same as XP, Ctrl and roll the mouse wheel to increase/decrease size of display.

woodchip 16:48 26 Jun 10

i also use a usb wireless mouse on my samsung

GrannyA 17:00 26 Jun 10

Thank you all so much. I'll keep all in mind and decide over the next week when the day of purchase arrives. I see not all have 3G, is this for internet wireless when on the go or does just wifi do that?

mgmcc 17:33 26 Jun 10

If the Netbook is "3G" enabled, you can put a mobile phone SIM card in and connect to the internet via the mobile phone network. The same result can be achieved by plugging in a "Mobile Broadband" USB dongle, if 3G isn't built in.

WiFi lets you connect to a Wireless Router or public "Hotspots".

penholder 21:13 26 Jun 10

For software to work with full functionality, must it be installed on the same drive as the operating system? e.g C:Programme Files.
Can I install it on an external drive?

Strawballs 21:19 26 Jun 10

My son has has an Asus netbook for about 18months and it is good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…