Netbook HDD to SSD. Is it worth it ?

Beetlecrusher 16:16 10 Nov 14

I have a Medion Akoya E1222 netbook which has an Intel Atom N450 processor and 1GB of RAM. I am about to install a 2GB memory module which will maximise its RAM capacity in an attempt to speed things up a little. I have been reading about SSD drives and was wondering if I were to replace the 250GB HDD with one of these at the same time as the RAM, would I see much of an improvement in performance ? I intend to do a clean install of Windows 7 Home premium on it and thought a 64GB SSD would suffice. Its only used for internet surfing, Skyping when abroad and sometimes transferring photos onto whilst on holiday. Any help would be gratefully received.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:04 10 Nov 14

Personally I think the cost outweighs the speed increase you would get on such and old machine.

Beetlecrusher 17:19 10 Nov 14

As I already have the 2GB of RAM and if I spend no more than £50 on an SSD drive I hope it will be worth the effort. I`ve read other posts on various websites and some, not all, have experienced better performance.

Batch 17:36 10 Nov 14

The browser that you use for surfing will have quite an impact on the memory usage on such a memory limited machine. IE11 is much less memory consumptive than Chrome (for example). But if you only tend to open a few pages at a time, 2GB should be enough even for Chrome. 1GB certainly isn't enough for Chrome as even a single webpage will cause swapping to disk, whereas IE11 will scrape by a lot better with 1GB. But personally I'd put the 2GB in anyhow (as you intend).

As for the SSD:-

I have a similarly spec'd Acer nettie (marginally slower CPU). The SATA disk that came with it is definitely not the bottle neck, the CPU is. That said, the SSD (surely?) will speed things up a tad - but it may not be worth the hassle / cost.

Beetlecrusher 19:08 10 Nov 14

I think I will need to do a lot more digging before I decide on replacing the HDD with an SSD. As I said, its mainly for surfing the net and Im willing to try other operating systems if necessary. Thanks for the advice.

Ian in Northampton 20:39 10 Nov 14

I don't think an SSD will speed surfing the net. Their primary use is in faster loading of the operating system at boot-up, and loading programs such as Word (and your browser). For other uses, any speed difference is likely to be very, very marginal. AS others have said: the bottleneck in the typical netbook is the CPU and, while increasing the memory will help some, a netbook will always be performance-limited, whatever you do in terms of upgrade.

I am Spartacus 20:47 10 Nov 14

It's likely to make it boot up quicker and generally feel snappier in use. While it's not necessarily cost effective it's probably the thing that has the most noticeable effect on a desktop or laptop.

alanrwood 10:39 11 Nov 14

I put an SSD in my netbook (Samsung NC-10, 2GB) and it made little difference. As someone says before the bottleneck is the processor not the Hard Drive.

Beetlecrusher 09:25 13 Nov 14

I think Ill give the SSD option a miss. I have installed the extra GB of RAM and there is a slight improvement in performance, but not much. Im thinking of getting an Acer TravelMate B113 with Intel i3 and 4GB of RAM as I prefer the smaller notebooks to the larger laptops. Anyone got any opinion on this ? And why does my text keep appearing in different sizes ???

robintheumpteenth 14:11 13 Nov 14

It is your apostrophes causing the text problems I think.

Stick to 'I am' instead of 'I'm' and 'I will' instead of 'I'll'?

robintheumpteenth 14:12 13 Nov 14

Maybe not then :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…