Netbook Chips

Joe G 23:22 09 Mar 11

Hi all

I'm considering getting a cheap netbook mainly for web surfing and playing music through my hifi (especially Spotify)

I notice some have the Atom 450 and some the Atom 455 processor - is the 455 any better in terms of performance - from what I have read boosting the usual 1Gb RAM to 2Gb seems to have more impact, though I'm not that keen on opening up a new machine to do this if it is not essential.

Advice most welcome

Cheers
Joe

northumbria61 23:41 09 Mar 11

They are both 1.66Ghz CPU's - there is a slight difference in the "benchmark" but I don't think this would be noticeable to the average user.

Personally I would look to purchase one with 2GB of RAM which would avoid you having to "upgrade" it at a later date - and note that if you were to do this during the Warranty period it may invalidate it.

northumbria61 23:42 09 Mar 11

Scroll down to see the "benchmark" difference here click here

Blubottle 13:43 10 Mar 11

I have just been playing with my son in laws new Advent One D255 it's quite impressive works very well with skype about £200, look online

northumbria61 14:03 10 Mar 11

Bluebottle - Advent One D255 ? - are you sure it isn't an Acer Aspire One D255? I think you will find it is.

northumbria61 14:11 10 Mar 11

Joe G - here is the Acer One D255 from John Lewis -click here - you will get a 2yr Warranty as standard from them. It is £20 more expensive at Comet with only a 1yr Warranty.

The only other thing I would add - and as above with regards to RAM it is only a personal view - some Manufacturers are now installing Windows 7 Home Premium on their Netbooks as opposed to the Starter edition - so maybe something else to consider - although I can see from your requirements it is not for heavy usage.

Joe G 23:55 10 Mar 11

Cheers all for the responses - seems like there is little difference between the chips - the one I am considering is

click here

northumbria61 00:00 11 Mar 11

Joe G - looks a good buy and should be suitable for your needs.

Joe G 00:37 11 Mar 11

Cheers - thats what I thought!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…