net restrictions

stevedunham 09:38 27 Jul 06

My kids use the net to play online games such as runescape. although I have an unlimited account they keep pushing me into the ISP's 'fair usage' rules by not doing as I ask, leaving me with restricted bandwidth towsrds the second half of the month.

I have asked them to limit themselves to an hour in the am & pm whilst I'm at work but kids being kids, they take advantage whilst i'm out.

What i'm looking for is software that will log them out of the net after a set time and ideally not let them in again until later in the day, whilst allowing access to non web based stuff

although i suppose i could just block runescape but that would be a bit mean.

ArrGee 09:43 27 Jul 06

As a very basic method, if you are logging in with a password before going to work, you could perform a timed shutdown click here

silverous 09:43 27 Jul 06

Something like this?

click here

Not sure if you are an NTL customer but they apparently get a discount.

Worth delving into the details as some games aren't supported.

FelixTCat 09:46 27 Jul 06

stevedunham,

Have a look inside your router's setup pages. Many of them have a facility to restrict internet access without blocking your own network.

The other place to look would be your firewall. You might just have a time control there.

Regards,

Felix

damnthispc 14:42 27 Jul 06

thanks so far.
I don't want to shut the system down just the net connection after an hour. Don't have a router, just the adsl modem by the pc.
I've heard of net nanny before, will need to research it's capabilities
cheers
Steve

silverous 16:57 27 Jul 06

Great, Let us know what you find.

damnthispc 20:28 27 Jul 06

Net nanny can be set to do the job. You can set times when you want to block access but you can also set time limits for the day e.g 3 hours over the unblocked time. user accounts allow such control once you have set the time limits, have to restart the clock each time you log on, gives a warning just before auto log off.

have to look around for a cheap deal.
Sorted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…