Net Objects Fusion 8 help!!!!!!!!!!!

allright 08:55 04 Dec 05

Hi, We are currently building a site which has an English and French version. As far as we can see it's only possible to have one homepage, which we've designated the English one. The problem is with the navigation buttons & fly-out menus. On the French 'homepage'we would prefer that only the buttons in French are displayed, but having tried all the different custom navigation levels it doesn't seem possible to do this, and on any French page all the English buttons are displayed aswell (while on the English the only French one is French home).

So, is there a way of effectively building two sites within one, which once entered operate independently of each other? or deleting a single button on one page only, Any tips or advice on how to best deal with making a site bilingual would be hugely appreciated!

Forum Editor 10:32 04 Dec 05

is to have a separate, French version of your site. You can do this by creating a sub-web on the server, and placing a link to its index page on the homepage of your english version.

You should publish the sub-web to a separate folder on the server. Inside the folder you'll have a mirror of your English site, same pages, same images, same navigation, etc., plus an index file. You can also add country-specific pages as you wish. Most people do the link to the separate language site using a national flag, or some other obvious graphic.

allright 10:39 04 Dec 05

Sounds like a good idea, but I can't see how to create a sub-web - there's no mention of it at all in the user guide. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated! We have already added French and English flags for links from the English home page.

Taran 13:15 04 Dec 05

OK, there are a lot of things to consider when using subwebs in NetObjects.

For a start it automatically links all pages to others int he site and adds it/them to the overall navigation, which I'm guessing is something you've already found out.

You can have pages disconnect from others and do all kinds of other tricks but I can't help feeling here that the easiest way forward would be to copy the French content into a new website and keep the English content in a separate one.

In your publishing options set one site to publish to your web hosts root folder and set a new publishing profile up for the other to target a subweb folder on the web server.

Say you leave the English site as is and shift all French content into a new NetObjects site.

Double check all page navigation elements to make sure nothing got broken.

Now, create a new publish profile and put a suitable name for its directory (folder) on the web server in the directory field of the publish FTP settings. You could call the directory fr or whatever you like.

Now, publish the English site to the web root, publish the French site to the fr directory and off you go.

A further step could be to have both the English and French sites in their own subwebs, with one site index page containing a UK and French flag or link to the relevant content.

There are other ways - you can go to Publish and right clik in the left panel to create a new folder and store files in it for example.

Personally I think that 3 sites (a single page site for the web root index page with links to two subwebs for English and French) would work well and would save you having to disconnect French content from English within the same site structure.

Havng just read through the above I realise I've probably just made everyone go "Eh ?"

Post again if you want some more info - I'll try to be clearer...

Taran 13:19 04 Dec 05

"...I can't help feeling here that the easiest way forward would be to copy the French content into a new website and keep the English content in a separate one."

In plain English (I hope):

Three NetObjects sites.

Site 1 has one index.html page with a link to Site 2 (English) and Site 3 (French).

Site 1 is published to your web root.

Site 2 has all English content and is published to a folder (subweb) in the web root called uk or eng or english or whatever you think appropriate.

Site 3 has all the French content and is published to another folder (subweb) in the web root called fr or french or similar.

Each site can be independantly managed without affecting the others and your home page gives casual visitors the choice of which content to view.

I know what I meant even if nobody else does...

Forum Editor 13:24 04 Dec 05

to do as I suggested, and create a mirror site in a separate folder. Treat this site as completely separate, but link to it from your main site.

That way you'll have no navigation problems - each site will be entirely self-sufficient, but visitors will only be able to access the French version via the link you'll create on your English homepage.

You can create the second web's folder by using the NOF FTP view. Just click the 'Publish' button - not the 'publish site' button - and that will enable you to select your FTP location. You'll get a split screen with the local files on the left, and your server files on the right. Create the French folder, and then exit. Now create the French version of the site, and publish it to the folder you created earlier. Link to its index page from your English site.

allright 15:11 04 Dec 05

After trying all the above suggestions, and after a week or so of almost throwing the computer out of the window, we think we've finally done it - but in a different way.
What we did seems actually pretty simple but seems (so far) to work . . .
In the site structure, we ticked the 'exclude from navigation' box on the french home page. This hides all it's children pages on the English nav bar. Then, on the home page we linked the flags and on the 'navigation bar properties' we changed from 'custom' to 'site'. Then we made the children pages (of which there were only a couple) into parent pages. And, voila! On 'publish site' none of the English shows on the French home page nav bar, so it looks like it will work. We will see!
Thank you all for your help and input.
Net Objects - no html, no brainer - or so I thought - how wrong could I have been?

ade.h 16:27 04 Dec 05

I'm currently creating a site in English and Japanese using NOF and it's going to be on a host that doesn't support subwebs. So my workaround was as follows:

I created the homepage to reflect the two language options, as decribed above. However, the page structure below it was duplicated (with different page names, of course).

For example, there's a page called bookings eng and a page called bookings japan that occupy equivalent positions in the structure. The page titles are different because that's what appears at the top of the browser and the banner titles are different too. Each bookings page is simply called Bookings but in the correct language.

All navbars will need to be customised to reflect the left and right sides of the site, otherwise you'll get a navbar that has both versions of each page which would be highly confusing to visitors. I routinely customise all my navbars anyway, and it's very easy.

Just be careful about your page names, page titles and banner titles. 22:57 04 Dec 05

solution be to have a separate master border for both the English and the French?

French buttons in one master borders pages, and English in the others! Unless I missed something above (I skipped quite a bit, sorry).

ade.h 17:16 05 Dec 05

Yes, you could do that too. I didn't think of it because I tend to use a unique Master Border for each page or group of pages. That allows the degree of individual customisation that I often need.

allright 17:32 05 Dec 05

We tried creating a different master border for the French, but we still couldn't seem to change the navigation buttons, and for some unknown reason if we added a new master border to one page, it would change all of them, and we were back to where we started (obviously we were doing something wrong!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…