Net Objects Fusion 4 - Inline Frames

Pesala 23:29 28 Sep 03

In Net Objects Fusion, one can edit the html code to insert code before, after, or within the tags for the current object. click here HTML.jpg

In this case the object is a table cell, which I wish to link to files a,b,c ... w.html in the directory ...\wisdom\iframes to change the content when clicking on a link in the cell above: click here. Can I do this by editing the html code here? Presumably I would have to leave the cell blank

I have dispensed with the detailed index and will sort the verses in alphabetical order, splitting them into files a, b, c ... w.html, to simplify the problem as well as the layout. The table cell would sometimes need to contain only one or two verses, sometimes twenty or more.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Pesala 23:34 28 Sep 03

Sorry. Forgot that you cannot leave spaces in file names. Try again: click here

Pesala 15:17 30 Sep 03

Is there perhaps some way to link the selection in a form field combo box to display different pages, or different content in my a cell? click here

If this were possible it is easy to define the different form fields and lay them out neatly in a table.

Just another idea to solve this problem.

Taran 18:18 30 Sep 03

For the volume of information you want to display Pesala, you would need to call the document pages from a database held in your web folder (on the host server) and have the pages bound to the listbox entries.

You can populate one listbox by selecting a value in another using DHTML or JavaScript, but filling a page with content would require the document/text/image(s) to be called from another source, hence you would need PHP/MySQL or ASP/Access.

You could do it using Perl/CGI but this would be far less easy to implement.

PHP/MySQL would be my choice.

Regarding entering the code into the NOF 4 dialog box, NOF does not like inline frames at all in design mode. Once you publish the site locally and you are dealing with HTML documents, it is far easier to customise them, but working in design mode in NOF is a nightmare for inline frames so I'd suggest you stay clear and work on the published files to begin with.

Email me if you come unstuck. I read my emails far more often than I get the time to come into the forum.

Regards

Taran

Pesala 18:30 30 Sep 03

I shall come unstuck if I try to be clever and implement this in a way that I don't already know. I like the NOF way fo working because it insulates me from learning any programming or html coding.

Too limiting for experts perhaps, but for DTP people like myself, it is far easier. I can modfiy the content to suit the limitations of my page layout.

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:43 01 Oct 03

the 'Go menu' feature in NOF. You can omit the GO button so the link is made when you click and item from the drop down list.

Pesala 08:30 01 Oct 03

That looks like it might be quite a workable solution. Certainly it is another useful trick to know. I had trouble finding the option at first because my Components Toolbar was not displayed.

I just discovered the "Publish Site Selection" option, which was very useful for this job:

click here to see how I have used the Go Menu and tell me what you think.

barryoneoff.co.uk 22:53 01 Oct 03

They always look neater (I think so, anyway). I always use them at the bottom of my pages instead of repeating the button menus.

Pesala 15:25 05 Oct 03

Using the Go Menu keeps the layout simple and splitting the book into twenty pages means that each one is quick to load. click here to see how it works now.

I've only completed five pages to give a good impression of the finished article, so it is not to late to change the layout or font.

Taran 15:46 05 Oct 03

Just one tiny point Pesala, and this may seem mundane to some, your menu 'jumps' up the page once you select any link in it.

The good news is that all the linked pages from your drop down have the menu locked in the same position, but the main page your link above points to has the drop down box lower in the page body than the pages it links to.

If you know what I mean.

;o)

It's a workable idea though, and many a good site uses drop downs for linking.

One final point: you did know that you can populate one listbox by selecting from another ?

Let's say you have two listboxes on your web page.

Now let's say that the first listbox contains an alphabetical list of authors.

If you click on Author named Z---- you can make your second listbox contain items pertaining to that author. Selecting Author D----- alters the content of the second listbox to those articles/listings pertaining to that author. A simple Go button allows your site visitors to scoot off to the selected authors article.

If you'd like to look at it I'll post it on one of my sites for you. It's JavaScript (you can use DHTML or Perl/CGI too) but it's fairly simple to get to grips with if you read it carefully.

But back to the original point, the navigation structure should work well with your drop down links.

Regards

Taran

Pesala 16:06 05 Oct 03

I'll take a look at fixing the link box in the same position on the title page - it would be better.

The other idea sounds like just a bit too much work and too fussy like what I had before, though I understand what you mean. I need to spend more time on my other 105 pages rather than too much on this one. It would absorb a lot of my fading grey cells.

Visually the plain vanilla text pages are a bit boring. I wonder if many people will be patient to read them. Should I try a larger font or something different to Verdana for the verses? Maybe Lucida handwriting or Comic Sans?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…