NET Messenger Alerts

EnglishBitter 11:52 22 Aug 03

Re NET Messenger
1) I often get message alerts saying a MSN Messenger friend is online wnen I am NOT logged in to MSN Messenger.
2) I manually sign-in to MSN Messenger and get a message saying samething like "..logging out of NET Messenger Service because you have logged in at another location.."

3) I have set Messenger to disabled and still get this irritating message.

Any ideas what 'NET Messenger' service is and how to prevent this happening ?

I'm also unclear whether the Jester program addresses this alert or not

Thanks for your help

Stewart

lightfeet 07:07 01 Sep 03

I have a similar problem but mine arrive as .NET Messenger service Staff - Conversation, telling me I need to upgrade Messenger. Have turned off Messenger and used Jester's program but still receive these messages

Lillylou 10:24 01 Sep 03

I have also being getting these alerts telling me that the staff cannot contact me because they are not on my "Allow list" whatever this is and I have to upgrade for security reasons but when I go to the site page it wants to download the new Messenger and says by downloading it could affect my MSN Explorer. Any ideas what to do would be great.

Audeal 11:48 01 Sep 03

How to stop the Advertising through MSM Messenger:

Open Control Pannel. Click on Administative Tools > Services. From the list, Highlight Messenger. Click on Stop. If you Double click on Messenger then you can disable it.

2. This isn't spyware or adware. It's the messaging service built into Windows which is being used by spammers.(Windows Messenger - not .Net Messenger ). To get rid of it,turn off the messaging service. Windows 2000 and XP:- Go Start > Run > type in services.msc.Double-click on Messenger and in the Messenger Properties window, select Stop, then choose Disable as the Startup Type.Click OK. Windows 95, 98, and ME:- Go to Control Panel and Add/Remove.Select Windows Setup.Select System Tools.Click Details.Uncheck WinPopUp.Click OK

EnglishBitter 13:58 02 Sep 03

Thanks for your responses but I had allready executed the messenger disabling process from another thread and it has NOT stopped this particular alert.

Essentially, if any of my friends are online and I have not opened MSN Messenger they still 'see' me on some other MSN messenger - I don't know what it is, how it is activated or how, more importantly, to disable it.

Still confused..................

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…