Net gear adapter problem

athertpa 10:40 AM 16 Feb 11

Hi

I have a netgear dongle wg111t and it has a poor signal strength. Pc upstairs router downstairs.

I have a laptop and iPhone and these have full signal upstairs.

Eventually the signal drops so low that the Internet stops working and requires a reboot.

Any advice on how I can solve? Thanks

luthier 14:00 PM 16 Feb 11

I had one of those Netgear dongles and tried using it in exactly the same way as you - Netgear router downstairs and PC upstairs. I also had loads of problems which were not solved even when I contacted Netgear. In the end I replaced it with a (cheaper) Edimax one with a stubby aerial attached. This has worked flawlessly for 2 years and has a good signal.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but that's my experience.

athertpa 11:04 AM 17 Feb 11

Do you think this is a problem with the dongle? Also I have a Thompson router not netgear

luthier 11:29 AM 17 Feb 11

I think in my case the dongle may have been faulty but struggled to get Netgear to admit it. So I just gave up in the end and bought the Edimax. I deliberately went for one with an aerial just to give it a fighting chance. I can't say whether yours is faulty or not. I don't think the fact you have a Thompson router would make any difference.

Have you tried your Netgear dongle in a PC nearer your router? If that worked better, I would say it's just not up to the job of receiving/transmitting through the floor. If it still didn't work, it's probably faulty.

Good luck

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…