Net gear adapter problem

athertpa 16 Feb 11

Hi

I have a netgear dongle wg111t and it has a poor signal strength. Pc upstairs router downstairs.

I have a laptop and iPhone and these have full signal upstairs.

Eventually the signal drops so low that the Internet stops working and requires a reboot.

Any advice on how I can solve? Thanks

luthier 16 Feb 11

I had one of those Netgear dongles and tried using it in exactly the same way as you - Netgear router downstairs and PC upstairs. I also had loads of problems which were not solved even when I contacted Netgear. In the end I replaced it with a (cheaper) Edimax one with a stubby aerial attached. This has worked flawlessly for 2 years and has a good signal.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but that's my experience.

athertpa 17 Feb 11

Do you think this is a problem with the dongle? Also I have a Thompson router not netgear

luthier 17 Feb 11

I think in my case the dongle may have been faulty but struggled to get Netgear to admit it. So I just gave up in the end and bought the Edimax. I deliberately went for one with an aerial just to give it a fighting chance. I can't say whether yours is faulty or not. I don't think the fact you have a Thompson router would make any difference.

Have you tried your Netgear dongle in a PC nearer your router? If that worked better, I would say it's just not up to the job of receiving/transmitting through the floor. If it still didn't work, it's probably faulty.

Good luck

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

Found Studio reveals the making of the Unleashed, Uncut Peugeot 208 viral

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message