.NET Framework 2.0 SP1 Update

Graphicool1 10:32 12 Dec 08

My OS is
WinXP Home, Version 2002, SP3.
I started with SP2 but when I updated to SP3, SP2 was removed by/or incorporated into the SP3 install. Because it nolonger shows anywhere on my OS.

A problem has just arisen regarding the latest batch of Microsoft udates. It scanned my OS and said I needed...

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 (KB110806)(x86)23.6 MB

It duly downloaded it and attempted to install it, but naturally enough it keeps coming up with 'Failed' It sits on my desktop bar prompting me to download and install, it won't take no, go away for an answer! Does this mean I have to install SP1? If so, will I have to uninstall everything else first, then reinstall?

This is what I have...

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0

Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Win XP
Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)
MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579)

Windows XP Service Pack 3

Stuartli 10:45 12 Dec 08

I have the various versions of iNET Framework on my system - both 2.0 and 3.0 are at Service Pack 2 level.

I wouldn't worry too much.

GaT7 02:08 13 Dec 08

Try installing MS .NET Framework 3.5 click here. This includes v2 SP1, which may do away with the recurring problem you're having. G

mike40 09:15 13 Dec 08

Why not try going into Windows updates and searching for updates. When the search is finished it will give you the opportunity to install updates Express or Custom. Select Custom and it will list this update. If you click on the show details there will be a box which states - do not show this update again. Click on that and it shouldn't give you any more bother. After that when updating manually it will show that you have hidden updates. Just ignore it.

Hope this helps because I had a similar problem and I got rid of it in this way

Graphicool1 11:03 13 Dec 08

ANSWERS:-

Stuartli - Thanks for your input, however I'm of the opinion that problems - nomatter how big or small - left alone to fester, will with time beget other problems. I believe it is called 'A knock on effect'

mike40 - My PC is actually set up to receive updates as they come along and install them. It's been trying to install this for some time. However I ran a program called 'Secunia PSI' It searches the whole of your system. Patching where necessary and pointing up software that needs updating. The route you suggest, is the route it said I should go. So I did and after a few more failed attempts, I clicked the button.

I then ran 'PSI' again and it said my PC was 100% and made no mention of the failed update.

Crossbow7 - Regarding the last paragraph in the above answer. Now that I am being told everything is 100% and not just swept under the carpet, or hiding in a cupboard. Ready to leap out when I least expect it! I - as I can imagine you would understand - am loath to open a whole new can of worms!

I've been and read what it had to say on .NET Framework 3.5. But for the time being I've decided to sit on that link and I'll monitor my current non-situation.
Thanks for that C7 and others. G1

PS - I'm still in two minds wether to install 3.5 or not. Have any of you guys installed it?

mike40 11:10 13 Dec 08

Hi
Yes, I appreciate what you say. Mine is also set to automatic downloads. However if you do as I suggest and search manually it will no longer try to download or install.

Cheers

mike40 11:14 13 Dec 08

Sorry I did not read you response fully. One other point - do you really need NET Framework at all?

john bunyan 11:37 13 Dec 08

Graphicool 1.
I had a virus problem some time ago and did a reinstall. Also I found SP3 caused some difficulties. As I have XP with MCE I found the MCE part did not work without up to date .Net Framework files. To cut a long story short, I uninstalled all .Net framework files , then reinstalled them in order of issue , including version 3.5. I am not sure what extra features the 3.5 has, but , like you, like to be up to date. (I rebooted the PC after each install!)
Now all is well.Somewhere on the MS site there is a feature about all this.

Grey Goo 11:43 13 Dec 08

click here

This will list all windows installer programmes.
You can delete all Net Framework packages and either not bother with it or install the latest.

john bunyan 11:44 13 Dec 08

Look here for lots of advice:click here

Graphicool1 12:37 13 Dec 08

Well, in answer to your question - mike40 - as my online name implies, I am heavily into graphics, all genre's. Therefore I use many graphics programs. For their own reasons - not known to me - they seem to feel it is necessary to operate with .NET Framework's? So, yes.

john bunyan - I receive various various newsletters. In a bid to keep up to date with the latest Web attacks etc. I am reliably informed, that - of late - SP3 has bee blocking various Microsoft updates.

I quote - 'Installing SP3 on Windows XP eliminates the operating system's ability to install important security patches for Microsoft's .NET technology and possibly other software. This problem forces XP SP3 users to apply patches manually to complete vital updates.

Grey Goo - There is a problem with your - on the face of it - simple solution of uninstalling older .NET files. That being, the software programmes that had me install them in the first place, still require them to run.

john bunyan - I've had a quick look at your link regarding .NET Frameworks. As you probably know a quick look doesn't begin to do it justice. So I'll keep it along with the link from - C7 - and when the time arrives, - to go for it or not - I'll dive in.

I'm much oblidged to you all for your individual take on my initial problem. Cheers G1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…