Net Connection there, but not!?!??! Doh!

GibsonSt19 23:13 29 May 03

Hi people,

I've just reinstalled Windows 98 on my home PC for verious reasons however whenever I connect to the net now, it will connect, and at a reasonable speed, however no internet pages will load up, and when I hover over the connection icon in the system tray, the bytes sent and received is very very low, even if the connection is kept open for 20/30 mins.

Any ideas guys? I've tried ununstalling my TCP/IP adapter and reinstalling and other related services however this has made no diff. I've removed and reinstalled the modem, tried deleting my connection and re-creating it (Powergen) however the prob persists.

C'mon clever people, before I rip ALL my hair out...and believe me there's not much left!

jazzypop 23:15 29 May 03

Which ISP are you with? I suspect that you need to manually enter the DNS server addresses, or possibly use a proxy server (e.g. Freeserve).

Are you using dial-up / ISDN /ADSL / Cable?

GibsonSt19 23:26 29 May 03

I'm using dialup to Powergen online. How would I find the DNS/Proxy server details jazzypop?

jazzypop 23:39 29 May 03

Hmm - they seem spectacularly unhelpful on their web site. All I can find is this page - click here - which has links to their email support pages, and information about a 50p per minute helpline.

Your best hope is that someone else here is using them, and can post their DNS settings.

beeuuem 00:55 30 May 03

You could try downloading the dialler
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…