Net access on XP Home guest account

Skeletor 12:14 19 Mar 04

Hi all,

This is a question that I posted on this forum a few months ago, but unfortunately no one had a satisfactory solution then, hopefuly some newer members may have an answer.

I have a relative who may be staying for a couple of months and have activated the 'Guest account'. Everything is fine except that whenever he clicks on the connect shortcut on the desktop a box appears 'Application Error, could not create entry (""+Alcatel Speedtouch Connection+"")'. I've tried creating another shortcut from my (administrator) account, but still no joy.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

spikeychris 12:16 19 Mar 04

The guest account will not allow Internet access, just give it a name.

spikeychris 12:20 19 Mar 04

Guest accounts cannot connect to internet or cannot initialize a RAS connection [by design]. But Guest account can use an already ON Cable/DSL/LAN connection or already connected Dial-up [from other user account] using Fast user Switching. During Fast user Switching: while the connection is retained for broadband connections, Dial-up connections might terminate while switching users. To prevent that, set the "KeepRasConnections" value to 1 in the Registry.

Skeletor 12:41 19 Mar 04

Thanks spikeychris,

I'm not sure what you mean by Fast user switching, but I do have Kelly's KeepRas Utility which keeps the connection while switching accounts... but not the Guest Account.

You say 'just give it a name', is this possible as the only option I can find is to switch the account on or off, and change the picture.

I think my only option is to create another Limited user account.

Thanks

spikeychris 12:50 19 Mar 04

Sorry, I did mean give another account a name.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…