Nero Hangs at 14%

AngelicAngel 11:49 28 Jul 05

Hi
My dad is having problems with burning CD's and DVD's using Nero. He purchased a dual layer DVD rewriter which came bundled with Nero OEM Suite 3. This includes nero 6, nero vision express, nero backup, media player etc. When he tries to burn to disc the read buffer goes to 100% and all seems fine. As the program reaches 14% the read buffer rapidly desends to 0% and then the program just hangs. He ends up having to manually restart the pc as the drive won't eject the discs. Does anyone know of any known issues or any programs that conflict with nero.
He is using Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed. I have also checked that he has no software or hardware updates to do on his pc.
Any help would be much appreicated
Thanks

pj123 11:56 28 Jul 05

I believe XP comes with some form of Roxio Easy CD creator. Roxio and Nero don't like each other on the same computer. Maybe worth disable/uninstall Roxio? I don't have XP so not sure how to do that though.

Satmansq 11:56 28 Jul 05

Has he been to the Nero site to download updates and patches cos it may be a known bug that has already been fixed.

AngelicAngel 12:05 28 Jul 05

Not got Roxio installed on the pc... Only using Nero and windows media player 10

AngelicAngel 12:07 28 Jul 05

Have been to the nero website and downloaded any patches relevant to the version we have. I'm wondering if it's an issue with SP2 ? All worked fine til he installed that. I know when i updated my PC with SP2 I had to download a patch for my nero. I don't think my dad did on his pc, so do you think it might be worth a try at unistalling all of nero and SP2, then re-installing the nero, patching it with the updates then re-installing SP2 ?

Pooke 12:11 28 Jul 05

It's built into xp pj123.

Try different branded media also are you copying a disc? If there any scratches even light ones it can cause problems with the burn.

The cd burning concept is very temperamental, it's a case of trial and error.

I have made many many coasters for the kids to play with :(

Pooke

AngelicAngel 12:26 28 Jul 05

We've tried all different makes of media, all brand new. I took mine up for my dad to try seeing as I have no problems on my pc. All do the same. Whether he's trying to copy a disc or make a data disc, all hang at 14%. He can use windows media player to burn music which he has put on his pc to disc fine, but that doesn't really help when he needs to do a DVD.

Pooke 12:35 28 Jul 05

memory problem? does the machine meet the spec for a dvd writer?

My only other suggestion is a re-install of Nero, or get an alternate?

AngelicAngel 12:44 28 Jul 05

Pretty sure memory is fine. Just had it upgraded not long back to 512mb. Thanks for your help so far

turron 12:55 28 Jul 05

I have nero 6 operating under Window XP Professional Service Pack 2. All was fine UNTIL I installed SP2 , when a message from Nero said that there are known issues with SP and Nero 6.

It gave me the choice to quit or ignore. I ignored and it crashed my PC. Not a good idea to uninstall SP2. I uninstalled and re-installed Nero and it is now working fine. Hope this helps.

AngelicAngel 14:49 28 Jul 05

Thanks for that Turron...Have told my dad about that and he's ever so nicely said that he'll leave that up to me to do at the weekend. will post again to tell the outcome.
Thanks to all that have replied it is much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…