nero.on the fly, drives sharing ide bus

second best 23:45 03 Nov 03

hi, ,i am trying to copy on the fly, but nreo is telling me both drives are sharing the same ide bus, and cannot read/write at the same time. what do i need to do? thnks.

powerless 23:48 03 Nov 03

You need to physically disconnect one of your optical drives and connect it up to the other IDE connector on your motherboard. It will probably have your hard drive connected to it, but you can "Slave" the drive.

Or just copy to hard drive and then to CD - Not on the fly.

smegs 00:05 04 Nov 03

I would advise U not to FLY-on-the-WALL. U will get a better copy, if U copy to Ur hardisk first.

sat481 22:22 04 Nov 03

To make it possible to do On-The-Fly copying in Nero means you have to physically open the computer and move cable around. You need to make the CD burner and Hard drive on on IDE port and the CD-Rom drive on the other. This is a lot of mucking around when On-The-Fly copying can waste a lot of discs because the slightest error during reading may cause a buffer under and hence a new coaster is created. I always find it better to copy the image to the hard drive and then to the CD. This is also a benefit if you decide that you want to make multiply copies for any reason.

second best 11:59 05 Nov 03

ok, will do thanks guys.

leo49 12:04 05 Nov 03

It could be your system spec has a lot to do with this.As above,99% of the time I rip to HDD before burning but on the rare occasions I copy a software disc I do so on the fly, and Nero just gets on and does it - and both my optical drives are on the same cable.

johnbhoy 13:05 05 Nov 03

Sorry to disagree lads, but I have both my DVD drive and CD Burner on the same IDE channell, I have ignored the Nero warning and have burned "On-the-fly" for as long as I have had a CD Burner. Most if not all CD Burners now a days come with buffer under run protection, which used to be a major problem when burning CDs on the fly.

Regards

JohnBhoy

TBH1 14:06 05 Nov 03

have to agree with johnbhoy here, my system is set up the same and I get no pproblems - - come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing that warning.

greenlamp 23:59 05 Nov 03

"On the fly" will work but the likliehood is that the task will take slightly longer than if the hard drive is used.

Attaching a CD or DVD drive to the same IDE channel as your hard drive may well slow your hard drive data transfer down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…